How do I stop a dog from non stop barking?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by FlowerLady, Apr 2, 2013.

1. FlowerLady

FlowerLady New Member

I have one dog that seems to bark non stop. I know he does sometimes see animals outside, like birds and squirrels, but other times he just barks. Some times I wonder if he just likes to hear himself!

Any suggestions?

FlowerLady, Apr 2, 2013
  2. FlowerLady

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog barks a lot too when a dog would pass in the gate so, I command him to stay inside to avoid seeing those dogs outside and so stop barking. :p

zararina, Apr 4, 2013
  3. FlowerLady

haopee Well-Known Member

You could use the shaker/rattler to disrupt the behavior. To make a rattler, you could use an empty soda can with some coins or pennies in it. If he barks, just shake the rattler vigorously and say "NO".

Hopefully, that stops the behavior. But if it doesn't, here's another post that could work: Teaching Your Dog the "Quiet" Cue

Also, excessive barking can be caused by your dog not getting enough exercise. However, it could also be due to his breed. For instance, beagles bark a lot because that's what they were bred to do. Bottom line, enough exercise and mental stimulation can help in reducing the tendency.

haopee, Apr 4, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  4. FlowerLady

claudine Well-Known Member

FlowerLady, I have a dog who loves to hear himself too. He has a cute voice but it doesn't mean that it's nice to hear him barking all the time:p
    I decided that I will follow Haopee advices - I hope that it will help:D

claudine, Apr 6, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  5. FlowerLady

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

Omg thank you so much for sharing this post. My neighbor's dog is a hassle..a real pain. He would constant bark at night preventing me to sleep. I am going crazy. I am printing this RIGHT NOW and I am going to throw this on my neighbor's face. Like for real :mad: Gosch!

schizophreniatype, Apr 17, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  6. FlowerLady

trishgl Well-Known Member

Dogs bark for a number of reason and you have to identify which before you can remedy the issue. The most common reasons dogs bark are:

1. Boredom or frustration-You can't leave your dog confined in a small space or just left outside with no interaction for days on end. You have to include exercise or other physical activities in your pet's daily routine.

2. Need-Your dog may need to go outside and answer the call of nature, eat or just get attention from you. Our chow barks when my husband comes home and will continue to do so until he plays with her a bit. What he does is he gives our dog her due attention as soon as he comes in the door. Petting her for a minute or so is usually enough.

3. Territorial-It could be that there is a person or animal present that your dog does not usually encounter. remember that this could be in adjacent yards not just your own.

4. He's scared of something-If your dog barks and his ears are back with his tail low then he could be afraid.

5. Health issues-He could be deaf which makes him bark more because he is not able to hear himself. Consult your Vet just in case.

trishgl, Jul 5, 2013
  7. FlowerLady

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog can't stand seeing people on our driveway or sidewalk so he barked and barked. I usually stop him by just telling him no or divert his attention to something else. He loves squeaky ball, so I use it and it works. Now, he will bark when someone knocks on the door which is what I approve.

IcyBC, Nov 25, 2015
  8. FlowerLady

Homer always barks when someone is at our door too. It's a good thing, because my grandfather has hearing problem and Homer is much louder that the door bell;)

claudine, Nov 25, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. FlowerLady

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My neighbor's dog is a non-stop barking dog, and loves to run away any chance she get, so they have to put an electric shock collar on their dog and they have to use it control her. Personally I don't like it but in a case like this one, it is one of the must haves for them. Their dog darted across a heavy traffic road without fear, and she escaped dead many times already.

IcyBC, Nov 26, 2015
  10. FlowerLady

I don't think I could ever put an electric shock collar on a dog. It just sounds so painful. Can't your neighbors fence off their yard? This way, their dog wouldn't be able to run away anymore.

claudine, Dec 2, 2015
  11. FlowerLady

Trellum Well-Known Member

Oh no, poor doggie :( But I guess sometimes those collars can be useful, specially in extreme cases like this one. I've always liked to try other methods before trying the most hardcore ones, just so we can say that we tried it all.

Trellum, Jan 2, 2016
  12. FlowerLady

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am so lucky to have Capone. He is not a run away type since he was a puppy. He will go ahead sometimes, or takes off a little bit but coming right back when called. His only problem is being very territorial and will intimidate other people so they think he is a "bad-dog", but they don't know that he is a sweetie and a "scardy cat" in every sense of the word.

IcyBC, Jan 2, 2016
  13. FlowerLady

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Barbie, our pekingese, has that habit of barking incessantly when there is an "intruder" in our home. Guests are treated as intruders so Barbei would be barking continuously until she runs out of breath. Giving her water, she would drink only to continue barking. There is a dog whisperer here who I am trying to contact because I had seen him on tv how he persuades the dog to stop barking. Maybe I can contribute in this thread when I get an appointment with that dog whisperer named Lestre.

Corzhens, Jan 3, 2016
  14. FlowerLady

Johanna Well-Known Member

Ring your local dog warden report

Johanna, Apr 1, 2016
  15. FlowerLady

I'm not sure if it will solve the problem, Johanna. Some dogs bark at everything and there is no way to keep them quiet:( My Homer is like that. I'm so glad he lives in a house surrounded with a big garden. At least no one can hear the noise he makes.

claudine, Apr 7, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
  16. FlowerLady

Johanna Well-Known Member

No? It is worth it. Please

Johanna, Apr 11, 2016
  17. FlowerLady

If I ever find a way to stop my Homer from barking, I'll let everyone know:) But I honestly don't think it's possible. Many small dogs bark all the time, because it makes them feel big;)

claudine, Apr 13, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
Ask a Question