How did you pick your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

How did you decide on what kind of dog you wanted? Most of mine I just kind of happened on, Petunia, our beagle, is the oldest of my dogs and we just happened to come across an add in the paper where beagle puppies were being given away.

Next came BJ or Big John and he was just dumped in our backyard when he was a puppy and I didn't have the heart to get rid of him.

Then Bitsy, my silver dapple dachshund, my husband bought her for me as a birthday present. I suspect she came from a puppy mill because the day after I got her I found out she had parvo and the vet and I managed to pull her through it.

Then came Isabelle I was cruising through Craigslist one day and saw an add where someone was giving away a dachshund I thought she would be a good friend for Bitsy so, we drove to another state to pick her up. She got in the truck with us and Bitsy and it was like she had always been apart of the family.

Well, I had such good luck with Isabelle I thought I would adopt another dachshund I searched online shelters and found Babygirl who was supposed to be a dachshund/chihuahua mix. I get to the shelter and they bring out this long legged dog and I kind of freaked out! LOL They asked me if I still wanted her and she was so sweet I had to say yes. So, that is the story of how I decided on my dogs. I actually think they decided on me instead. LOL

SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I got the idea in my head one day that I wanted a black and brown dog- the coloring of a rottweiler. SO I began to search the postings of all thelocal rescues and shelters in our area and found a nice size black and brown dog taht I wanted.

The rest is history, I got the world's craziest dog out of it.

MakingCents, Jan 28, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

zararina Well-Known Member

Majority of our past dogs are given by some family friends. I only bought one when she was still a puppy direct from her mother's owner since I really like her (it seems we have a connection with each other LOL). And our recent dog here was just adopted, he was a stray dog that stays near our house. He was so dirty already when we saw him and at first we just give him food until we decide to adopt him.

zararina, Jan 28, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Before I got Candy, I was already looking into getting a Bangkeaw. I had been reading up on the breed and I like what I read.There was a big litter up for sale but I knew about it too late to buy one. Then a friend of a friend told me about two available, a male and a female. I took the female. That's Candy.

Victor Leigh, Feb 5, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I had 2 dogs in recent years...one was the puppy of a friend I worked with, so sort of a favor, but it was adorable too...a white cock-a-poo.
    The last dog I just saw an ad for in the paper...she was 6 years old and a golden terrier mix and I just wanted to give her a nice home. If I BOUGHT a dog of my choice, it would be a Cairn Terrier....just think they are the cutest things!

SallyintheValley, Feb 7, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

Cairn Terriers do look kind of scruffy but they are actually rather smart cookies. I remember there was one that became a star on the silver screen. Can anyone remember which one that was?

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 8, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

I was never in search for a dog. Just one day, my stepfather brought home this half-breed Japanese Spitz after his beloved German Shepherd died half a decade ago. Her name is Tisay. Tisay gave birth several times but since none of us kids as well as my mom knows how to take care of puppies, we always gave the pups away and what was left to us died except for one… Browny. Since him, my experience on dogs grow and I learn a lot of things concerning dogs only because Browny live to be a joy and inspiration for me.

King Browny, Feb 8, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

Are you thinking of Toto of the Wizard of Oz?

SheWolfSilver, Feb 9, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh, Feb 9, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

Cathy New Member

I have a german shepherd, had always wanted one since a child. I just love the breeds looks in every way - but I was not in a position with enough time and with a big enough garden and house to support one until after I was married. I was very lucky because my husband had grown up with GSD's and his parents had always had two, so he was quite experienced with them. We spoke to a lot of breeders, we went to see her when she was born and we met both parents before we decided that we definitely could handle this breed. No regrets!!

Cathy, Feb 10, 2012
  11. SheWolfSilver

amy005 Well-Known Member

A friend of my mother in law had a Bichon. I met him and pretty much fell in love with the breed. He then ended up having puppies with my mother in laws dachshund. another breed I love. Needless to say I was excited to find out that they were having puppies and decided to adopt one.

amy005, Feb 13, 2012
  12. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

LOL. You can say that. I can also see the resemblance. :D

King Browny, Feb 14, 2012
  13. SheWolfSilver

Oh, I love Bichon and I have a dachshund! Do you have a picture?

SheWolfSilver, Feb 14, 2012
Ask a Question