How did you get your dog to go outside to relieve itself?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

I forgot how I got my dog to let me know when he had to go outside to relieve itself. I think I use to take him outside every 2 hours or so until he found it acceptable to go outside to handle his business. I good pat on the back usually signaled that he did a good job.

How did you train your dog?

JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014
  2. JoshPosh

claudine Well-Known Member

As far as I remember, we used to reward Homer with treats whenever he relieved himself outside:) Now, when he wants to go to our garden, he barks at the door.
    We also walk him three times a day.

claudine, Jan 8, 2015
  3. JoshPosh

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I feel like I had a similar experience. I was quite impressed with the way my two small dogs co-operated. Recently one has been getting very special and doesn't always want to go outside especially if there has been some rain. As a result she's had a few accidents in the house which does not make me very happy. 98% of the time they will "tell" me they want to go. I am still aiming for 100%.

Winterybella, Jan 8, 2015
  4. JoshPosh

Homer doesn't want to go outside when it's raining ether. Fortunately, my parents have a big tree near their house. The grass there is always dry, so he can walk on it without getting his paws wet.

claudine, Jan 19, 2015
  5. JoshPosh

trinden Active Member

This was one of the biggest problems i had when i first got my dog.I tried everything i could think of.She would go sometimes and other times,well..i'll just be cleaning up.I recently came across this product It has worked wonders for us.The most challenging part was getting her to use it..and that only took about one week.Trust me,this is going to save you a lot of clean up

trinden, Feb 3, 2015
  6. JoshPosh

So please tell. What is this miracle product. I am just cleaning up and "accident" in the house. My girls were on a schedule. It's when the routine has been interrupted that things get out of hand and one is more guilty than the other.

I don't have a major problem but I am happy to hear of what is working for you. I'm WAITING.

Winterybella, Feb 8, 2015
  7. JoshPosh

Trellum Well-Known Member

I was blessed to get such a sweet smart dog, my Frida learned from day one she should pee or poo in my room, lol, because it was her room too. I'd tell her ''bathroom'' and then took her outside. Praise her right after doing her business outside :p I should have used treats too, she truly deserved them.

Trellum, May 7, 2015
  8. JoshPosh

This Ginger is a ..........handful. I thought I was getting somewhere with her but just the other day I let her outside for a very long time thinking she had more than enough time to do everything she needed to. The little rascal comes in and IMMEDIATELY pees on the floor. Oh my God, what am I going to do about her.

Winterybella, May 7, 2015
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  9. JoshPosh

Haha, Homer did the same thing when he was a puppy. He thought it's wrong to pee outside, lol. It took him a week or two to realize that we want to live in a clean house.
    Give Ginger a treat the next time she does her business outside:)

claudine, May 8, 2015
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  10. JoshPosh

Actually this morning I let her out with the others and stood at the window to see if she was going to do anything. She actually did a pee and I gave her a good girl comment minus the treat. I think I have to find time to be with her consistently. She might come around as I think she's a good sense of right and wrong. Looks like she is going to be my special project.

Winterybella, May 8, 2015
  11. JoshPosh

This is a great news:) She sounds like an intelligent dog, I'm sure she'll learn everything quickly. Reward her every time she does something good and it will be fine. My Homer loves being complimented on good behavior:)

claudine, May 9, 2015
  12. JoshPosh

So here is what's been happening recently though. For a few weeks now, I am being awaken around 2am and then a couple hours later around 4am. The thing is I am usually going to bed around 1am or later. So do the maths. I am having some really terrible 'nights". I have to find a way to get things back to normal. Sometimes I will hear Ginger wanting to play at these hours. I am wondering if it's her fault that everything is out of sync. Yet I can't be mad at her.

Winterybella, May 9, 2015
  13. JoshPosh

She's just a puppy and puppies do many crazy things. You need to be patient with her. She's like a little kid. They get bored easily. Homer used to wake me up in the middle of the night too when he was young. He still does it sometimes;)

claudine, May 10, 2015
  14. JoshPosh

I think the problem might not be Ginger. Do you remember the dog that keeps coming around? Well she's started hanging around more and I think Remy and Zola might have a thing for him and he definitely has a thing for Zola. Is it possible they want to be outside with her kissing and the like through the fence? The dog keeps so much noise during the night when the girls are inside. Could that be the problem?

Winterybella, May 10, 2015
  15. JoshPosh

superbobby Member

Give your dog treats. They respond very well when you give them treats. My dog learned quickly because of it.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
  16. JoshPosh

LilAnn Well-Known Member

When she was old enough to take outside I started taking her whenever she woke up or finished eating. I would tell her to go potty, and praise her when she did. Once she learned "go potty" and was tall enough to get up and down the back porch steps I took her out there and told her to go potty. I think she likes to explore the back yard, and have the freedom to go in and out whenever she wants (doggy door). Right now, during rainy season, she's decided to be afraid of the rain, and afraid of the dark. So, basically, she's housebroken on sunny days, and the rest of the time she finds a spot (never on the carpet, though, thank god!!) and takes care of business. I'm not sure how to help her get used to the dark.

LilAnn, Jun 5, 2015
  17. JoshPosh

Well Zola is very special. I said before that she does not like wet grass or high grass and wants to stay indoors like a human except she does not know how to use the toilet. She likes to head to the basement but once I am around she is stopped from going in the basement and she goes out. On those occasions she'll bark the bad bark to tell me open 'that door that door'. Of the three of them she just loves a house.

I am happy to report that the 2am wake ups are a thing of the past and things are back to normal except for the occasional accident with Ginger being the chief offender.

Winterybella, Jun 6, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  18. JoshPosh

IcyBC Well-Known Member

As soon as we brought Capone home, we showed him the outside and encourage him to do his business, then repeated the same command with the same act of going outside. He pretty got it the second day he was home, and his entire puppy hood, he only peed in the house twice. He is a good dog!

IcyBC, Sep 27, 2015
  19. JoshPosh

This is really amazing, Capone must be very smart!:) My Homer understands a lot of things, but he didn't listen to us when he was a puppy. I remember all carpets in the house were wet during the first weeks, because he was peeing on them:confused:

claudine, Sep 29, 2015
  20. JoshPosh

cheryllei9h Member

My dog will just stare when she wants to go out. But we put her out a few times a day and night. I think she may be going in the house some too but can't prove it besides a weird smell in some spots. Or maybe it's just her. She needs a bath.

cheryllei9h, Oct 27, 2015
Ask a Question