How did you end up with your "babies"

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by pugskjj, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pugskjj

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I saw a thread on where you got your dogs but I thought we needed a HOW, because unless it's just me I am sure we have come to acquire some of our babies in the dearest or craziest ways.

Kotton was given to me as a birthday present by an ex and her dad when they realized that I would not be returning to work and remaining on disability. They wanted me to have someone with me all the time to help me transition. Well, I went to pick out a pup from a new litter her uncle had (he was said to have had yorkies so that's what I thought I would get). When I got there he informed us that the litter of two had already been spoken for and that there was another litter of two that would be ready about 3 weeks later. As I was playing with one of them this little ball of Kotton wandered up and looked at me and I fell in love! Well she was spoken for but he would keep me in mind if it fell through. About 3 weeks later my g/f's dad came home and his coat was wiggling...and out popped Kotton!! It had been planned all along.

Koko and Kash came to our home on the same exact day...at nearly the same exact time each was being picked up by me and my girlfriend, in two different states LOL She was getting me a puppy from some lady who didn't deserve the one she had and I was getting her one from a man whose daughter gave him a dog and he just couldn't be bothered...of course Kash (the one she brought home) ended up being ALL hers, Kash lives for my g/f. And Koko, well now that she's out of her shell...she is my g/f's too...and Kotton....yea well, I still have the chinchillas...

pugskjj, Jul 26, 2012
  2. pugskjj

Pocs Well-Known Member

Such good stories and a funny ending, it made me chuckle..

8 years ago when I moved in with my boyfriend ( now my hubby) he worked 2 jobs. He had a large dog named Oden, who was very old and just wanted to live his days out in peace and quite. He worked second shift and I had to be in super early, so I went to bed early. I would comment about always being in bed alone. One day he surprised me with a road trip and our destination was a lady who bred terrier beagle mixes. We went in and loved on and held all the puppies but, I just wasn't feeling a connection. We were getting ready to leave, when the lady asked my boyfriend to help move a crate. I sat down and low and behold coming bouncing from behind the couch was this little fur ball. I picked him up and he immediately began to snuggle in my hair. He was the one! He was a left over from another liter, that in her words was to scrawny to sell. From that day on I have never had to sleep alone. Now my hubby, gets whatever room is left on the bed.

Gix was a one time encounter between Gizmo and my daughters dog Pixie. Was only once, and I've said it before, he's a only child. My husband decided to keep him to even the bed ratio. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Gix sleeps as close to me as Gizmo does, plus he feels he needs a pillow. Guess who goes without?

Pocs, Jul 26, 2012
  3. pugskjj

Melody Well-Known Member

Such nice first meetings. My story is a little different. My dog of 13+ years died in July of 2009. Her health was failing and one day she woke up looking fine, then in the afternoon she was very sick. She died within an hour.

I had been expecting it but it still hit me hard. You don't just walk away from a companion of 13 years and not feel sad.

My brother, sister-in-law, and two young nieces took it upon themselves to make me feel better. I suspected they might be up to something. I suspected they were looking for a dog for me, but I thought it would be months later.

A week after Sierra died, I heard voices outside. I thought it was my niece which was strange because her parents were at work. What would she be doing here? When I got out of the bathroom, my niece was coming in the back door. In her jean jacket was this squirmy little dog about the size of a guinea pig. It was a 2 lb. Jack Russell Terrier--and it was for me.

They had been checking out breeders for several weeks. Then, they found one near where I lived. The girls checked out all the puppies and they chose one for me. She was suppose to be the timid one. I can't imagine how the hyper ones turned out. LOL

If you read my other threads, you know that Misha and I have had our ups and downs the last 3 years. But, I wouldn't trade her in for the world. She is a source of companionship and entertainment. She is my little goof ball.

Melody, Jul 27, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  4. pugskjj

haopee Well-Known Member

I can't get enough reading dog stories with happy endings. I have 5 dogs, here's the story of 2 of them.

Brother Dog or BD, isn't our dog. One day my mom came home (after a long vacation at my sister's) and found an extra dog looking at her with big eyes. She asked my brother (who was the current caretaker of her house) who the dog was, he said he fed the dog because it came home every dinner time. And we eventually ended up taking BD in.

Ginger was a neighbor's dog. She was the adventurous type and would always come inside our fence to play with our dogs. One day, she came in limping. We were overly concerned as to what happened and asked. Apparently, our neighbor twisted her leg because she caught her eating the food on top of the dinner table. We decided to adopt Ginger.

haopee, Jul 28, 2012
  5. pugskjj

Awww your brother is a bit kind hearted eh? That is a great story about BD, and makes it easy to see why he got his name. And poor Ginger!!! I wish that people who abused animals would get the same treatment they give the defenseless animals that depend on them for life. Ginger is very lucky to have found you!

pugskjj, Jul 28, 2012
  6. pugskjj

haopee Well-Known Member

That's what a lot of people have told us but I believe we were lucky that Ginger found us. That neighbor of ours didn't see Ginger's potential. She's very smart and food driven. I've taught her tricks and she learns them pretty fast. I am quite amazed of her intelligence. Her attention span is longer too.

She's also instinctive. She knows how to treat humans and other dogs. She also knows how to pose for the camera.

[​IMG]
    Source

haopee, Jul 28, 2012
  7. pugskjj

Pocs Well-Known Member

These stories are so touching and amazing. They should be put into a brochure about animal rescue and cruelty .

Pocs, Jul 28, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  8. pugskjj

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine is a really long story: http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/11/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food.html

Basically, a very dear friend of the family passed away and her only companion was the 13 year old dog she'd had since he was a puppy. Her living family members were just going to dump him at a shelter. I'll leave it at that because even a few years later, it's enough to get me really riled up just thinking about it.

Jessi, Aug 1, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  9. pugskjj

Aww Jessi that was so very kind of you to give that poor pup a home

pugskjj, Aug 3, 2012
  10. pugskjj

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Then there is the teenage girl, my daughter who was going through a traumatic period including health problems. My wife came home from the hardware store with a phone number she got after seeing photos of puppies posted up behind the counter by an employee.
    When my wife and daughter got to his property there were only two left.They were cross bred and nothing fancy. Mishka was bought for a nominal fee and came home to live with us. My daughter now works in the city and is unable to have dogs where she lives so Mishka is ours I guess now. :) And my daughter is very healthy and happy these days.

argon_0, Aug 3, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  11. pugskjj

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice stories. ;)
    I just usually get our dogs from friends as they already have more dogs than they can handle. ;)
    And we got one dog which is one of our recent dogs now just from outside of our gate. He was an abandoned puppy and we decided to adopt him when he was being a stray for several days already which makes us sure that no one really owned him.;)

zararina, Aug 4, 2012
Ask a Question