Housetraining

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by GavinMcresty, May 7, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

How did you housetrain your dog(s)? We never had to do it with any of ours because they pretty much worked it out for themselves. That said, one of them was very lazy and often did it in the house when she did not feel like going outside. Also, if it was cold outside, she tended to do it inside because she wanted to stay in the warm house.

GavinMcresty, May 7, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

It wasn't easy in the beginning because Homer is a very stubborn dog. Fortunately he would do anything to get a treat. So I was carrying a few slices of carrot in my purse every time when we went for a walk and when he did it outside, I rewarded him:)

claudine, May 7, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

ivan_ox New Member

It is hard to train dogs, even though that they can be easily trained compared with other pets. Trainer should have the good characteristic; must possess friendly skill towards animals because you need to get their attention first.

I started training dog:) by jumping. Once i arrived from school he should approach to me by jumping twice.

ivan_ox, May 8, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent dog was months old already when we adopted him and there is no need to train him to do his things outside. And as time goes by, there is a specific place inside the compound where he always do is thing which is allowed for him.

zararina, Jun 1, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

trishgl Well-Known Member

It wasn't easy but with regular positive reinforcement they'll get there. You also need to give your dog sufficient time outside to do her or his business. You have to walk your dog at least 15 minutes before they are comfortable enough do both number 1 and 2. Also if you can bring your dog outside twice a day at roughly the same time so that they'll get use to moving their bowels on schedule. I or one of my family members walk our dog first thing in the morning and another late in the afternoon. Good luck!

trishgl, Jun 7, 2013
Ask a Question