House Training/Behavior

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Usarmy91c, May 24, 2019.

1. Usarmy91c

Usarmy91c New Member

9D687BEA-79C6-4FAE-9F28-0F1C28538490.jpeg Hello ,
    I am a Shitzu owner and have had them for 20 years. I have only had baby girls , Bo is my first male. We had him neutered as soon as possible, he has been raised with our three other dogs , he was kennel trained and seemed to do great,.. here it comes,, seems is the magic word. I am at my wits end , He has urinated in places throughout the house I am just now finding. He is extremely intelligent, learned to unlock the kennel and destroyed my husbands man cave Michigan pillows, he is an 8 pound tornado . HELP SOS, my two older females look at him and seem to say “ it wasn’t us Mom”. Anyone experience this?
    Thank you in advance .

Usarmy91c, May 24, 2019
  2. Usarmy91c

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

House training and addressing unwanted behaviors in pets, particularly dogs, is a common concern for pet owners. Here are some general tips to help with house training and behavior modification:

House Training:

1. Establish a Routine: Dogs thrive on routine. Take them outside to eliminate at the same times each day, such as after meals and after waking up.

2. Use Positive Reinforcement: Praise and reward your dog when they do their business outside. Positive reinforcement helps them understand what's expected.

3. Crate Training: A crate can be a helpful tool for house training. Dogs often avoid soiling their living space. Gradually introduce the crate to your dog and use it as a space for confinement when you can't supervise.

4. Supervision: Keep a close eye on your dog, especially when they are indoors. If you catch them in the act of soiling the house, gently redirect them outside.

5. Clean Accidents Thoroughly: Use an enzymatic cleaner to eliminate odors from accidents, as dogs may be drawn to the same spot if they can smell their previous mess.
    Behavior Modification:

1. Positive Reinforcement: Reward good behavior with treats, praise, and affection. Dogs respond well to positive reinforcement.

2. Consistency: Be consistent in your training and expectations. Everyone in the household should follow the same rules and commands.

3. Training Classes: Consider enrolling in a training class with a professional dog trainer. These classes can provide structured learning for both you and your dog.

4. Exercise: Ensure your dog gets sufficient physical and mental exercise. A tired dog is often a well-behaved dog.

5. Patience and Understanding: Understand that behavior modification takes time. Be patient and avoid punishment-based training methods, which can lead to fear and aggression.

6. Seek Professional Help: If your dog's behavior issues are severe or unmanageable, consider consulting with a professional dog trainer or a veterinary behaviorist.
    Remember that each dog is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. Tailor your approach to your dog's individual needs and temperament. Consistent, positive, and patient training is key to achieving the desired behaviors and a strong bond with your pet.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 18, 2023
Ask a Question