Hot Summers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by danielle davidson, Jul 4, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidson Active Member

I love hanging outside with my dog, but I feel bad taking him outside with me. The reason for this is because he is a black pug, and they don't like the hot weather. I know that he enjoys being outside with me, but I always have to make sure that there is a spot for him to lay in the shade. He is able to easily get over heated, and that's the last thing that I want to happen to him. I just have to make sure to be extra careful. Do you guys run into this problem?

danielle davidson, Jul 4, 2015
  2. danielle davidson

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Frida is a schnauzer that has a lot hair, but I can see why you are having some issues with your pug in this regard. Those poor pooches are so close to the floor, I read somewhere that is a factor that makes them more prone to get overheated. It's also due their short snout.

Trellum, Jul 5, 2015
  3. danielle davidson

LilAnn Well-Known Member

The only time I am outside for an extended time is during my walks or jogs. And those never happen until dark, when its cooled don a little bit.

LilAnn, Jul 5, 2015
  4. danielle davidson

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer ignores the weather. No matter how hot it is, he always wants to play outside. I let him do it, but I make sure he gets plenty of water and spends most of the time in the shade.

claudine, Jul 7, 2015
  5. danielle davidson

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My dogs spend most of their time lying on the linoleum right now, because of the heat. Well, except for little, hyper little Ann

LilAnn, Jul 15, 2015
  6. danielle davidson

IcyBC Well-Known Member

When I am outside, Capone is with me but I can tell that he is hot because he went looking for shade to stay in. He has white short fur with spots of black here and there but he still gets hot easily. Too bad your dog doesn't like water or you could fill a kiddy pool for him to cool off.

IcyBC, Jul 18, 2015
  7. danielle davidson

danielle davidson Active Member

Yes, Remy is the same way. I feel so bad and wish that I could put him in water or something but he hates water. Remy has short black hair so I'm sure that he gets very hot. Plus, he's a pug so he already has a hard time breathing. I know, we tried the kiddy pool and he hates it. I wish that he didn't because I'm sure that he would have fun otherwise.

danielle davidson, Jul 18, 2015
  8. danielle davidson

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Most of my dogs will cooperate with me when I have the waterhose. Little Ann, won't, though. She wants to run in a circle around us and make fun of which ever dog I'm working on.

LilAnn, Jul 19, 2015
  9. danielle davidson

Katerina Rousaki New Member

I wet the pavement floor in the garden and she sits on the cold floor

Katerina Rousaki, Jul 26, 2015
  10. danielle davidson

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I have box fans here and there. When we're inside all the bigger dogs like to stand directly in front of a fan. Little Miss will have her front paws on the floor and head on the floor with her butt sticking up so the fan is blowing on her butt. she'll stay that way for a good while, too.

LilAnn, Jul 26, 2015
Ask a Question