Homemade Dog Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Mel, May 17, 2015.

1. Mel

Mel Member

Hello -- So I have two dogs of my own, a Border Collie who is 8 years old and a Chiweenie who is 2. I have been making them personalized dinners for about the past month because well, I want them to live forever and I love them dearly. I will will either cook up brown rice or Quinoa and add to that chicken, ground beef, tuna or egg. I also have a really handy rice cooker so I will cook the rice in a can of soup. They usually devour every last morsel of food (with the exception of plain rice & egg for my Chiweenie, PICKY boy). Anyways, I'm just wondering if you all have any recipes you like to use when cooking for your pups? Also any feedback on what I have been making is welcome. :p

Mel, May 17, 2015
  2. Mel

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi Mel! I have been thinking of cooking for my Frida as well, but time doesn't allow, it might in the future though, we got to see! Everything you mentioned sounds good, excepting for the rice... if you cook it often, you got to know rice has a high level of arsenic, that is both harmful to us and dogs.

Trellum, May 17, 2015
  3. Mel

claudine Well-Known Member

Hello Mel:) Welcome to the forum:)
    I don't cook for my dog, because it's too complicated. I don't want him to gain weight. Dry dog food I feed him is well balanced and healthy. He gets all necessary nutrients:)

Trellum - do rice pasta contain arsenic too?:eek:

claudine, May 18, 2015
  4. Mel

superbobby Member

You should treat them with homemade food once in a while. They like it more from my experience.

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  5. Mel

Most likely does :( All rice products contain arsenic, most dangerous rice is the brown one. Up to one year ago I was a big rice eater, but after reading about the high contents of arsenic in rice... well, I rather make a nice healthy soup instead :)

Trellum, May 31, 2015
  6. Mel

claudine Well-Known Member

Superbobby - Homemade food usually isn't healthy or well-balanced. I feed my Homer dry food and vegetables. He loves them more than anything:)
    Trellum - Oh no:( It's such a pity. I'm addicted to rice pasta!

claudine, Jun 2, 2015
  7. Mel

I was addicted to rice, Claudine, but now I have found several things to substitute, one of them is beans :) It was hard, but depending on the dish I know pair it with either beans, salad or a nice soup.

Trellum, Jun 3, 2015
  8. Mel

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I only make home made chicken rice soup with ginger for my dog when he is sick! Like @claudine I am worried that what I make isn't contained all the necessary nutrients that he needs. I might venture and add vegetables to his chicken rice soup later on though.

IcyBC, Sep 13, 2015
Ask a Question