Hoarse bark

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by claudine, Feb 28, 2014.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

My little Homer has a hoarse bark:( I'm so worried about him!
    He doesn't have fever, he has a great appetite like always and wants to play all the time, but he lost his voice:(
    I don't know what to do. Our vet had given him a few medications, but it didn't help at all. If nothing changes, he'll have to have an endoscopy. I can't tell you how scared I'm.
    Do you have any ideas what should we do? Are there any home remedies for a hoarse bark?

claudine, Feb 28, 2014
  2. claudine

Becky Well-Known Member

Aw poor little guy, I hope he's back on tip top form soon!

Becky, Mar 4, 2014
  3. claudine

Thank you, Becky! He's feeling much better now. In fact, I hear him barking loudly at my sister, haha:p
    What helped him the most, was linseed drink. It was very oily and not tasty at all, so the hardest part was to encourage him to drink it:confused:

claudine, Mar 10, 2014
    Becky likes this.
  4. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

That was really good to know.
    It could be something on his throat that slipped because of that oily medicine. :p

zararina, Mar 10, 2014
  5. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that, Claudine! So it was nothing serious in the end?? How good it would be if most health issues solved themselves on their own just like this! I lost my voice quite recently and I can't tell you how happy I was when I got it back! I bet your Homer was quite happy to recover his too :D:)

Trellum, Mar 10, 2014
  6. claudine

Yes, it was nothing serious:) I can't tell you how relieved I'm feeling. I was so worried! It breaks my heart when Homer isn't healthy. Fortunately, he's fine now and he can bark as loud as he wants to, haha:D

claudine, Mar 21, 2014
  7. claudine

worldmachine Member

Dogs can be susceptible to laryngitis, this can be caused by excessive barking but could be due to a respiratory tract infection or inhaling dust or smoke. This can be painful for the dog and requires medication. Laryngeal paralysis is another condition which is caused by damage to the nerves of the voice box. This is more common in older dogs and surgery may be needed to widen the airway.

A hoarse bark should not be ignored, it can cause the dog pain and the condition can deteriorate if left untreated, the dog may develop a fever and have difficulty swallowing so a hoarse bark needs to be closely monitored.

worldmachine, Apr 2, 2015
  8. claudine

Thank you for the information, Worldmachine! This sounds really scary:( Fortunately, Homer is feeling fine. He barks loudly all day long, lol:p Linseed really helped him.

claudine, Apr 11, 2015
  9. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Glad to read that, Claudine! A hoarse bark can be a serious thing, just like a hoarse voice in a human, specially if it stays for too long. I had that problem last year, hehehe! Lost my voice! It was a mix of laryngitis and bronchitis.

Trellum, Jun 7, 2015
  10. claudine

I know, it definitely can be a serious thing. This is why I was so worried. Fortunately, Homer rarely gets sick. He's strong and full of energy:D

claudine, Jun 8, 2015
Ask a Question