Helping obese dogs lose weight

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Janet Ford, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Active Member

We had a medium breed dog who became seriously overweight. Yes, after being spayed. Beginning to think there may be something to that. What do you think?

She was a pound puppy rescue so was no surprise, but still sad, when she developed hip dysplasia but also had trouble with her front leg joints as well at just five years of age. Her weight was a serious issue for her and nothing we tried seemed to help. We changed vets during this time and the new vet suggested we give her canned dog food. He said to look at canned dog food as diet dog food.

In record time her weight was under control. Thought I'd share. :)

Janet Ford, Oct 22, 2015
  2. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow, really? I never thought canned dog food could be considered diet dog food, I had heard canned dog food contains a lot fat :O Maybe I need to read more on the subject. I'm glad to hear your dog is better now :) I think it's very hard to help a dog, but you did it! Your vet must be excellent!

Trellum, Oct 23, 2015
  3. Janet Ford

claudine Well-Known Member

I always thought that canned food is fattening. This is a nice surprise. I think I'll buy a small can of food for my Homer. He loves trying new things:)
    He was slightly overweight, so we gave him diet dog food and it helped him lose weight.

claudine, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Janet Ford

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Good to know about canned food! Like those above me, I always thought canned food is unhealthy and full of fat. Learn something new today.

IcyBC, Nov 2, 2015
  5. Janet Ford

lexinonomous Member

My fiance's little chihuahua has the same issue. She is incredibly huge for her small size. She should be about more than half her weight less. Our vet told us we needed to get her on a canned food diet and to only be giving her about a half a cup a day. I was shocked at the low amount, but when I thought about her size, it made so much more sense. I think as humans we think they need much more than they do.

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
  6. Janet Ford

Layton Member

That is intresting. I did not know canned dog food made dogs lose weight. I am really bad about giving Anastasia table food. She just looks at me with those big brown eyes when I'm eating and I can't help but give her a piece. I will difinatly have to try the caned food system and not give her table scraps.

Layton, Nov 8, 2015
  7. Janet Ford

lexinonomous Member

If I'm not mistaken, the canned dog food is easier for them to digest, making the weightloss process a lot easier. Cutting out table scraps will help a lot. I didn't realize how much I gave my dog until I stopped completely. I thought "no wonder she's a chubby hotdog!"

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
  8. Janet Ford

I gave my Homer some canned food yesterday. He loved it much more than his dry food;) It's good to know he can eat it from time to time.

claudine, Nov 10, 2015
    lexinonomous likes this.
  9. Janet Ford

Winterybella Well-Known Member

My dogs are not obese. Actually I am getting concerned as the three small ones seem to be eating less of their dry food and want more of my food.

Winterybella, Nov 12, 2015
  10. Janet Ford

lexinonomous Member

My dog is the same way. When we feed him wet canned food, he seems to think he is getting the royalty treatment. I suppose it has a bit more substance and smells much stronger. I can understand why they gobble it up like no other. For my dogs, I have to give them a few cans, so it can get a bit pricey.

lexinonomous, Nov 12, 2015
  11. Janet Ford

My Homer is a tiny Yorkie, so he can't eat a lot of food and feeding him isn't expensive:) I can afford buying him good quality food.
    I think he loves canned food so much, because it's something new for him:)

claudine, Nov 17, 2015
  12. Janet Ford

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I would caution you about that can food. They love it!!!! If you feed Homer too much, soon he won't know want to see any dry food. When I do give them now it's a treat.

Winterybella, Nov 17, 2015
  13. Janet Ford

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I never would have thought that spaying a dog could lead to weight gain but I guess its a possibility! I think it is a large responsibility of owners to help their animals stay in shape. Its important to limit food to a reasonable amount, so that the dog is not over indulging. Likewise, its the owners responsibility to make sure the dog is getting enough exercise and adjusting the amount if necessary.

However, I do think the breed of dog also contributes to its weight gain.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 18, 2015
  14. Janet Ford

Thank you for the warning:) I give him canned food as a very special treat:) He loves it so, so much. Fortunately, he still loves his dry food, too:)

claudine, Nov 25, 2015
  15. Janet Ford

ts_guest New Member

I have two Chihuahuas, nine and ten years old. One weighs nine pounds and the other weighs ten pounds. Both are physically fit and in great health. Last year, both dogs started looking a bit hefty in the midsection... so I just cut back on their dry dog chow. I feed them Blue Buffalo Puppy Lamb and Oatmeal twice a day. They lost weight after a few months.

Now they eat less than 1/4 cup a day. In the morning I put a few drops of Dermaquin Plus (Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement) in their bowls and then the dog chow on top. One dog inhales his food! The other takes his time.

For dinner they don't get any supplement, but when I eat my dinner later, they get a treat of a little bit of carrot pieces and three pieces of their dry dog chow. They think it's a wonderful treat. Dogs love carrots!

ts_guest, Nov 26, 2015
  16. Janet Ford

Hello Tlspiegel!
    This is so very true, dogs love, love, love carrots. Carrot slices are my Yorkie's favorite treat, I think he's addicted to them, haha;) He prefers them to his dry dog food.
    It's great that your Chihuahuas lost weight:)

claudine, Nov 26, 2015
  17. Janet Ford

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Obesity is our main problem with our dogs. My husband is always getting my attention on the weight of our dogs. Too much feeding, he would always say. And the culprit is always me because I can't seem to bear the feeling that we are depriving them of food. Our dogs are fed 3 times a day - dog food for breakfast and cooked food for lunch and dinner. They also have an afternoon snack often fried sweet potatoes. Maybe the snack is what's giving them the excess weight. But then again, how could I stop their snacks? My alternative is to give them physical activities like playing with them or bringing them in the park to walk. It pays to make them walk. However, we cannot go to the park everyday because it is far and I have a job. For now, we are trying to lessen the amount of food.

Corzhens, Nov 26, 2015
Ask a Question