Help! my dogs keep chewing my faux leather tub chairs.

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by jules21158, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jules21158

jules21158 Member

I have 2 female Bichon frize crosses and when I go to work for 3 hrs in the morning I shut them in the kitchen/dinner where they have access into the garden via a dog door. The trouble is they keep chewing my faux leather tub chairs. I have try spraying the chairs with a spray brought from Pets at Home to deter chewing but it makes no difference.

Apart from putting them in a crate while I am at work I just dont know what else to do. Any ideas?

jules21158, Dec 1, 2011
  2. jules21158

Nick87 Well-Known Member

How old are the dogs? If they're young, you might need to leave them in the crate while you're gone because they're still learning.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  3. jules21158

jules21158 Member

My dogs are 18 mths now. I have just bought a meduim size crate and they seem quite happy to stay in there together for a couple of hours. So have solved problem for now by prevention, hopefully in time this may become a cure.

jules21158, Dec 2, 2011
  4. jules21158

amy005 Well-Known Member

Good luck, it sounds like you have found the best solution so far. I also have a bichon frize mix. He is quite a handful! Luckily he has grown out of the chewing stage.. I would actually recommend keeping toys on hand for him as well for him to chew so he knows what he can and cannot chew. That worked for us at the time.

amy005, Dec 21, 2011
  5. jules21158

MakingCents Well-Known Member

They also make sprays that deter dogs from chewing. It's called something like "Bitter Yuck no chew spray." It just tastes really nasty so that when the dog chews he gets a nasty taste in his mouth and he won't want to chew that again. It did work for my dog.

Caution, if you get it on your hands it tastes nasty to humans as well!

MakingCents, Dec 22, 2011
  6. jules21158

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Putting them in a cage is the surest way of solving the problem. Buying a cage would be cheaper than buying new furniture. Give them something else to chew on while they are caged. Like an old shoe or two.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2011
  7. jules21158

King Browny Well-Known Member

or the faux leather tub chair itself if they have munch most part of it so when you buy a new one… Ah no. Bad idea. They’ll just see the new one as a new treat. :p

King Browny, Dec 23, 2011
  8. jules21158

Maybe you should go to the shop where you bought the faux leather tub chair and see if they have some old ones or broken ones which you can buy for a very cheap price. Then you can give that to your dog.

Victor Leigh, Dec 24, 2011
  9. jules21158

But then the dog won't be able to distigunish which chair they are allowed to chew and which chair they aren't. The rule I use is if the dog isn't allowed to chew any object of that variety (say shoes) then don't give them old one's in which to chew. The dog can't understand the difference.

MakingCents, Dec 24, 2011
  10. jules21158

Are you very sure about that? I have had quite a few dogs. When they go for the shoes, they have always chosen the old ones. I never had any new shoes chewed up yet. Maybe old shoes smell and taste better.

Victor Leigh, Dec 25, 2011
  11. jules21158

It does happen, do they only chew the shoes you GIVE them? It could be that they have learned if they are given something it's allowed to be chewed but not things that aren't given to him.

MakingCents, Dec 26, 2011
  12. jules21158

If I remember rightly, this issue of chewing things is just a phase. Dogs normally outgrow it. Except for Bangkeaws. Bangkeaws have some kind of extended adolescence thing. My Candy was nearly four before she started behaving like a grown dog. My friends who have Bangkeaws also have the same experience.

btw a Bangkeaw that's mature doesn't talk much. Just wait for the intruder to come within range. Then go for the throat. Bangkeaw jaws also have some kind of death-grip. Like they have to be dead before they would release their grip. That's assuming the intruder is not dead first.

Victor Leigh, Jan 1, 2012
Ask a Question