Healthy "People Foods for Dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

My dogs tend to get into everything. I cannot leave anything on the counters because they will tackle anything in sight. They seem to know the difference between food in baggies and paper towels, ha ha. Occasionally I will give them "people food" as a treat, but I make sure that it has some sort of benefit.

I read online that pumpkin is surprisingly great for dogs.They are supposed to be a good source of fiber and help to keep the GI tract moving. This is supposed to help keep the cells lining their stomach healthy. I found this to be interesting because I never would have guessed pumpkin as a beneficial food for my canine buddies.

What healthy "people foods" do you feed your dogs?
    Are you aware of any unlikely foods that canines can have?

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
  2. lexinonomous

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I gave Capone apple and carrot pieces as treats! In the summer, he also gets blueberry and watermelon! These are all natural and healthy treats for him. Now, he becomes picky with his dried dog food and waiting for me to add some flavor to it or something, but he is not getting it :)

IcyBC, Nov 8, 2015
  3. lexinonomous

claudine Well-Known Member

I always share my vegetables and fruits with Homer. He loves eating raw carrots, small pieces of apples and salad leaves. He also likes my gluten-free bread, but he doesn't get it too often, because I don't think it's a healthy treat for him.

claudine, Nov 8, 2015
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

I never knew that you could give dogs blueberries and watermelon! I knew that carrots were a nice crunchy treat for them, but I didn't think they'd take to fresh fruit. That's awesome! It's funny how dogs seem to get picky when they become familiar with the food we eat. :p

lexinonomous, Nov 8, 2015
  5. lexinonomous

Haha, my Homer isn't picky at all, he wants to eat everything we eat:p
    And yes, it's true, dogs can eat watermelons, blueberries and many other fruits and vegetables. It's a healthy treat for them:D

claudine, Nov 10, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. lexinonomous

IcyBC Well-Known Member

If you are going to give your dogs apple, make sure you trimmed the cord and the seeds completely. They are somewhat not good for your dog and could be poisonous. I now prepare some cut carrot pieces to keep in the refrigerator for Capone and buying less commercial treats as they are expensive and full of things that I can't pronounce :)

IcyBC, Nov 10, 2015
    lexinonomous and Winterybella like this.
  7. lexinonomous

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Before I joined the forum I was happy to give them anything I ate except it was on the list of forbidden foods. These days I try to hold back and I am trying really hard not to give them bones. It's tough but I am trying. I always remember Claudine talking about Homer liking veggie and fruits. Only one of my dogs would eat just about anything.

Winterybella, Nov 12, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure to cut them up for them so they can avoid the bad stuff. I never knew apples were okay for the to have, let alone that the seeds could be poisonous to them. I'll give this a try later this week and see how they take to them. I know my Mastiff will take to them regardless, since she likes to eat absolutely everything in sight.

lexinonomous, Nov 12, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. lexinonomous

Homer loves veggies more than he loves his family, haha:p
    He has never been picky. When he was a puppy, he used to eat everything he could chew. I remember he once ate a paper napkin:eek: I'm glad he's smarter now.

claudine, Nov 17, 2015
  10. lexinonomous

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Well, I made a mistake of giving Capone some human foods and I can tell you, it won't happen again. He becomes needed and begging when we are eating. He won't eat his dried dog food if we don't add something to it. These two problems have me going crazy so I am going to put a complete stop to this and won't allow anyone giving him table scraps anymore, plus re-train him not to beg :)

IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015
  11. lexinonomous

Elsewhere when this topic came up I got a good scolding for giving my dogs bones. In my country that is so the norm. When there are big functions people actually call for the bones to take home for their dogs. I have seen bones divided so that several people get some to share.

Winterybella, Nov 17, 2015
  12. lexinonomous

gabydi New Member

Pumpkin is good for dogs as long as you don’t overdo it because too much pumpkin can cause diarrhea. I give my pups boiled chicken from time to time, lean meat, green beans, carrots and cooked eggs. They also love peanut butter and spread a little in their treats sometimes.

gabydi, Dec 9, 2015
  13. lexinonomous

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When I was new in dog caring, a breeder advised me to give vegetables to my dog. But dogs seem like kids who don't want vegetables. However, squash is one good "food chaser" that we mix in their food - I have 3 dogs and the pug is a voracious eater who tends to eat anything. The veggies that seem palatable to our dogs are tubers like potatoes and carrots aside from squash.

Corzhens, Dec 9, 2015
  14. lexinonomous

I found a recipe recently that I think would be good for both dogs and humans. The thing is I don't know when I am going to get a chance to make it. I'll be quite busy going forward but if I find the time I am going to post it. It good for the dog's breath.

Winterybella, Dec 9, 2015
Ask a Question