Have you tried clicker training?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

This video shows how clicker training is done.

Have you ever used this method for dog training? I've seen a couple of demonstration, but I've never tried it. I don't think it would be effective with Misha as she can be afraid of noises. She'd probably jump every time I clicked.

I supposed I've done something similar to this by snapping my fingers in dog training. But, it wasn't to reinforce good behavior. It was to get the dog's attention.

What do you think of clicker training?

Melody, Jun 2, 2012
  2. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

It may work for some but good old "Good girl" does just fine for me,

It didn't work for me because it was to hard to address a single dog when I was training three. When I would clicker train Peanuts, Ginger and Coal ( the other dogs) would hear the clicker and assume that they would get treats even though I wasn't near them. Even when I moved them far away, they would still hear it and would bark or whine because they were hearing the clicker (since I was training Peanuts) and treats weren't flying their way.

I think Misha would just do fine with a stroke or a belly rub. ;)

haopee, Jun 4, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I just learned about that training here and so have not tried it on our dogs.
    It seems to be a good training but I also think it may not be for all dogs. It may work for some but not for all. ;)

zararina, Jun 12, 2012
Ask a Question