Have you tried apple cider vinegar as a flea repellent?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by trishgl, Dec 13, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow had an issue with fleas and mange a while back so I'm pretty obsessed with anything that can prevent it. Some say that spraying your dog with diluted apple cider vinegar and water can help prevent your dog from catching fleas. Has anyone tried this method? I just want to be prepared come next flea season :)

trishgl, Dec 13, 2013
  2. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

Uhm that can actually disturb him a lot, since most dogs hate the smell on vinegar. I actually used a mix with vinegar to potty-train some of my dogs. Believe me, they don't like how vinegar smells! Just get one of those collars that are to prevent cases of fleas.

Trellum, Dec 16, 2013
  3. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not tried using apple cider vinegar as a flea repellant to our dog. Before, I use an anti flea powder called shield guard and it worked.

zararina, Dec 20, 2013
  4. trishgl

joycemcgregor Active Member

I will have to see if I can find Shield Guard. I do not remember seeing it, but will make sure I take the time to look.

joycemcgregor, Oct 20, 2015
  5. trishgl

cheryllei9h Member

I have never tried it. How about Dawn dish detergent? I heard that can kill fleas. Not sure about preventing though.

cheryllei9h, Oct 20, 2015
  6. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

I sometimes use apple cider vinegar on my hair, but I've never tried to use it on Homer. I think this is a very good idea:) Let's hope he'll like the smell of it.

claudine, Oct 27, 2015
  7. trishgl

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have used apple cider vinegar and just plain vinegar to spray on my dog for two summers now. It works but you also have to give your dog a bath with vinegar, dawn liquid dish soap and water to get the fleas off first, and the spray is just a preventive way to keep the fleas off him!

I can't stand fleas, as I also got bite from them!

IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015
  8. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

This is good to know, IcyBC. Homer doesn't have any fleas now, because he was wearing a flea collar during the whole summer, so I'll definitely use the spray as prevention.
    I can't stand fleas either:confused: They can carry diseases.

claudine, Nov 6, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. trishgl

joycemcgregor Active Member

I will have to try the dawn, apple cider combination on my little dog. Her in the south, fleas tend to be a year around problem. And since I am on a very small SS check, I cannot afford the expensive flea treatments. My ex mother in law lives on the Gulf Coast right on the beach and she always took her dog swimming in the salt water every couple of days and had no trouble with fleas.

joycemcgregor, Nov 6, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. trishgl

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I guess I can say I have but I honestly can't say with any conviction I've had any identifiable improvement. Truth be told I used it more for ticks imagining that if there were any fleas, they too would would have been eliminated. The jury is still out on its effectiveness.

Winterybella, Nov 6, 2015
  11. trishgl

thegrey1 Member

This past summer, we tried washing our dogs with Dawn dishwashing detergent and rinsing them with apple cider vinegar. It worked like a charm. The fleas were dead and Gunner's and Bug's fur was glossy and soft. We bathe them once a week, because it doesn't repel the fleas for very long.

thegrey1, Nov 7, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. trishgl

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I mixed Dawn dishwashing liquid and apple cider vinegar and water and bathed Capone! We can see the fleas coming off, but you're right, it doesn't last long as repelling these blood thirsty insects. So I also spray him before he went out with diluted vinegar.

Do you rise the apple cider vinegar off afterward with water, or do you just leave it on?

IcyBC, Nov 8, 2015
  13. trishgl

thegrey1 Member

We rinse them as well as possible to get all the fleas off, but then we rub some dilute ACV and water into their skins to help repel the nasty things for a little longer. I could use a spray bottle, but our pups HATE spray bottles. LOL

thegrey1, Nov 12, 2015
Ask a Question