Have you given your pet dog food with added omega 3 and 6?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by trishgl, Nov 24, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I though it did not matter much if the dog food had those added vitamins but I was wrong. I am a cheapskate by heart and I usually buy dog food by the sack. A couple of months ago however my chow started shedding more than normal. My Vet said she wasn't getting enough nutrients so he recommended another brand that had added omega 3 and 6. My pet's shedding has lessened and her fur looks great. Have you had a similar experience?

trishgl, Nov 24, 2013
  2. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not buy dog foods as we prefer to cook foods for them. usually the food is rice, meat and vegetables. These foods make our dog/dogs healthy. :)

zararina, Nov 24, 2013
  3. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

No, I've never given Homer dog food with added omega 3 and 6. I don't think it's necessary though. He loves fish, so when my parents eat it, he always begs them to share it with him. Fish is healthy and it contains omega acids:)

claudine, Nov 24, 2013
  4. trishgl

dodgesnose Member

Here, what we add is coconut oil on dog food, about a teaspoon for each meal. We say it greatly helped on especially on dry skin, allergies and on digestive problems.

dodgesnose, Nov 28, 2013
  5. trishgl

Do you think I can replace coconut oil with flaxseed oil? I've been drinking flaxseed oil myself for the last two weeks and I still have plenty of it. A friend of mine told me tat it contains both omega 3 and 6.
    My Homer is tiny, so I would give him less than half teaspoon for each meal.

claudine, Dec 2, 2013
  6. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

I really don't pay a lot attention to that. I just buy dry dog food for both of my dogs and they eat it happily :D I loved the idea of @dodgesnose I will definitely try to find some coconut oil. My dogs so far haven't started shedding - I shed more than my dogs, I think, lol.

Trellum, Dec 30, 2013
  7. trishgl

If your dog's food is well-balanced, then you definitely don't have to pay a lot of attention to that, I think. I'm very glad, because I found a great dry food for Homer too. He has been eating it since he was a puppy and he's very healthy. His hair is more shiny than mine:p

claudine, Feb 16, 2014
  8. trishgl

Awesome :) I wish we had more options over here (dog food), but sadly we only seem to have access to the usual dog food brands. There are some really cheap ones too, so I try to stick to what I already know.

Trellum, Feb 16, 2014
  9. trishgl

To be honest, I don't think we need more options. Homer really loves his food, he's used to it. A nice lady at a pet store once had given him a few samples to try and he chose his usual food:p

claudine, Feb 20, 2014
  10. trishgl

Your homer seems to be very stuck on his ways ;) But I understand why he prefers to stick to what he already knows. My dogs seem to eat everything - as long as it smells nice ;) They don't really care about brands.

Trellum, Feb 24, 2014
  11. trishgl

Haha, yes, he is stuck on his ways, but I bet that he would eat something new if he couldn't choose his usual food. He isn't picky at all:) And he hates being hungry.
    Unfortunately, our vet told me that I should buy him low calories dog food:confused: He is slightly overweight:(:(

claudine, Feb 28, 2014
  12. trishgl

Oh no!! It sounds like homer will need to get to walk daily! I have never had an overweight pet, but I bet isn't so hard to help them get rid of that weight, mostly because their diet is controlled by us. It's a huge problem if other family members like to spoil them by feeding them things hey should never feed them tho :p

Trellum, Feb 28, 2014
  13. trishgl

He already is walked daily:) Actually, we take him for three walks a day, so he gets plenty of exercise.
    But he has to eat less. It's really heartbreaking, because he keeps begging for treats and I know that he's hungry. I wish I could give him more food! He weights 4,5 kg though, so the diet is necessary:(

claudine, Mar 4, 2014
Ask a Question