Have you ever had a dog with so many skin problems?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by haopee, Sep 13, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I have never had a dog with so many skin problems. Back when he was a puppy, he had a seriously bad case of mange. Now he has dry flaky skin that forms little wound-like areas on his body. We went to the doctor awhile ago because we saw puncture wounds which weren't there last night. The doctor said it was a bruise that became very swollen reason why the skin opens into a bloody mess when minimal pressure is placed on it.

I'm not sure when this all started since I've only been with him for a month or so but it is driving me crazy. Would it be a good idea to give him skin supplements or should I just leave this be and address his current issues such as the swollen bruise?

haopee, Sep 13, 2012
  2. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, I've never had a dog that has had the problem you mentioned. I have had dogs with skin troubles. My Lab had ongoing problems with itchy skin the first two years of her life. When I switched her from food with lamb to chicken, the itching went away. She was allergic to lamb. The problem recurred when she got some treats with lamb, so I knew that was the cause.

In her last year of life, she got this strange skin disease. The veterinarian really didn't know what it was, though it responded to medication. It was like seeds were growing in her fur. They could be removed but took tufts of fur with them. It did clear up. She was left with a couple of bald spots though.

I have never heard of the problem you have mentioned though. Those puncture wounds sound strange. The veterinarian thinks they are bruises that got to swollen? How odd. Are they like blood blisters maybe? If it were me, I would first treat the issue. Let that heal. Then, see if there is some sort of supplement that could help. Otherwise, if it gets worse or changes, you won't know if it's the skin problems or the supplements doing it.

I hope he is better soon! That sounds miserable.

Melody, Sep 13, 2012
  3. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that's a good idea. Treat his current problem with whatever the doctor advised. Then make changes to his diet and see if there is any difference. Another possibility might be the shampoo you use to bath him with. Don't make all the changes at one. Change one thing at a time so that you can pin down the cause of the problem.

Victor Leigh, Sep 13, 2012
  4. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I never had a dog with serious skin problems.
    One of our oldest dog before had a bald spot on its tail which we think is age related as we did not see her itchy about it. ;)

zararina, Sep 13, 2012
  5. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

This is so awful, I hope your dog will heal soon because it must be so painful for you both:( . It must be some kind of an allergy in my opinion. Try to eliminate some of the food and see if there will be any changes. I'd also go to another veterinarian just to hear another opinion.

claudine, Sep 13, 2012
  6. haopee

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My first Buddy had terrible skin problems especially in the summer. My brother would buy Aloe Vera Gel to use on him to help his skin heal. However, I can't stress enough to make sure to use pure Aloe Vera gel because some forms of this use rubbing alcohol as well which isn't a good idea because dogs have a tendency to try to lick this off (Buddy did) so although Aloe wouldn't be harmful to dogs (humans also consume it) rubbing alcohol can be.

pafjlh, Sep 15, 2012
  7. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, they were in fact blood blisters. You would've imagined my relief when I explained it to a friend and he told me thoughtfully, that's a blood blister. I guess I had to blame myself for having dialect inconsistencies while conversing with the vet. I'm not really good at this other language and I was trying to digest as much as I could.

Fortunately, it's all healed up now. But Buchi was given an injection of some sort for the bacterial infection and antibiotics which he took for the rest of the week. Now, everything is peachy once again.

[​IMG]

We were giving them veterinary fish oil supplements but it's all gone so I am considering buying in-diet which is unfortunately expensive here.

haopee, Sep 24, 2012
  8. haopee

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Sherlock has skin issues, and a LOT of skin issues can be corrected via diet. Lamb and rice based dry foods, are particularly good for dogs with skin problems. If you can find an equivalent of this food where you are, then it's a very good choice. My two absolutely love it, it keeps their skin and fur in excellent condition, and they're both picky eaters. It's also good to use as treats outside for training, because it's so yummy.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 26, 2012
  9. haopee

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

My family and me have a Shih Tzu and she's always had skin allergies. She scratches a lot, but we give her a special brand of dog food that the veterinarian recommended.

pilot2fly, Sep 26, 2012
Ask a Question