Grind up chicken bones?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jessi, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They seem to think so anyway. The above is a "ham and eggs breakfast" mix.

[​IMG]

That's ham waffles, haha.

[​IMG]

And that's a 'beef stew' version with roast beef and potatoes. Without the rice, that's actually what I would serve for a dinner. The picture doesn't show it, but I would've added a gravy to that as well for the dog. In the gravy, I use the beef broth from the bones, add powdered milk for the vitamins and minerals in it, etc.

http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/11/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food.html

Jessi, Mar 20, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  2. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

Wow, it really looks like human food!:D I can't imagine how happy my Homer would be if he got a meal like this. I guess I should learn how to cook, I wish I was more talented at it:p

claudine, Mar 20, 2013
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well on the plus side, he's unlikely to be nearly as picky about the food so maybe that would be a good place for you to start! You don't have to learn how to season or anything in order for it to be successful with a dog, unlike with humans, so I think you just got yourself a test buddy, hehe.

Jessi, Mar 21, 2013
  4. Jessi

Lol! But what if I'll poison him? I poisoned some people with my cooking already, I don't know if it'll be any different with a dog. I'm just not good at this even though I really like preparing food. Once, I decided to bake carrot cookies for my boyfriend, it took me almost five hours and the result was...well, not satisfying:eek: . Homer might become picky when he'll see my food:p

claudine, Mar 21, 2013
  5. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well fortunately with dog food, it's not a big deal if you *over*cook the foods. Usually people end up 'poisoned' because meat is undercooked or eggs don't get cooked all the way, etc. So long as you cook the meat all the way (I toss mine in a crockpot and let it go all day long), then there's not a whole lot you could mess up. Surely Homer would appreciate your efforts!

Jessi, Mar 21, 2013
  6. Jessi

But there is another problem - I'm a vegetarian and I can't imagine touching meat, especially when it's raw and bloody - yuck. My Homer of course loves meat and I don't fight with it because it's natural for him but I'm pretty sure that I'm not able to prepare meat - even for him. He gets enough of it with his regular dog food anyway. I could cook something only from vegetables... maybe he'll appreciate it too:D

claudine, Mar 22, 2013
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh dear, now you have a real problem. If you are a vegetarian, then you cannot really be expecting to cook the same food for yourself and your dog. Looks like Homer will have to make do without home-cooked meals. Dogs do like vegetables. Well, at least mine do. In fact, mine likes everything that I eat. However, dogs need their meat and bones. It's part of their natural diet.

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2013
  8. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, that might make a little harder for you. ;)

Are you okay with eggs? That's still a source of protein you could offer him without having to use meat. Maybe you could make him the occasional meal as a treat instead of as his main diet? I'm sure he would love it regardless!

Jessi, Mar 23, 2013
  9. Jessi

I eat eggs, I don't have any problems with them, so I can cook something for him and add eggs, it's a great idea, thank you for the tip:) . I know that he needs meat though so yes, I'll cook for him on a special occasion and on a daily basis he'll be still getting his dog food:)

claudine, Mar 23, 2013
  10. Jessi

trishgl Well-Known Member

Since my Vet warned me about the dangers of chicken bones I never give my dogs any. For chicken flavor what I do is just boil the bones and then mix some of the broth with the store bought dog food. I do make it a point to buy some beef or pig bones from the market so my dog can gnaw on it and keep their teeth healthy.

trishgl, Mar 27, 2013
  11. Jessi

Rick Johnson New Member

At our Vet's suggestion, we are going to try grinding whole chickens, bones and all, for our dog, Julie. This article explains a lot about this. We will cook it after grinding, due to the risk of salmonella in raw chicken.

Rick Johnson, Aug 20, 2013
  12. Jessi

Marley's Dad New Member

Marley's Dad, Nov 14, 2017
  13. Jessi

Marley's Dad New Member

I make mine in a crock pot with the juice of two lemons. After 24hrs (more for bigger bones) the bones just snap and crumble with no splinters. I heard that vinegar works too, but I haven't tried that yet. Marley gets some of the bones right out of the slow cooker, the rest I mash with a potato masher and mix with can pumpkin filling for fiber.

Marley's Dad, Nov 14, 2017
    AdExPe likes this.
  14. Jessi

Brunski's mom Member

Grind bones are safer
    Grind bones are better and safer. You'll be less sorry than I was. I fed my dog a cooked pig bone and then I noticed she kept on clawing her mouth and when I checked her mouth, the bone got stuck on her teeth. Thankfully we were able to get it out immediately.

Brunski's mom, Nov 29, 2017
    AdExPe likes this.
  15. Jessi

AdExPe New Member

Hello, I am sorry but I am new here and could not find the reply.
    Does anybody knows about a blender / grinder that can break raw chicken bones ?
    thank you for your help.

AdExPe, Jun 21, 2019
  16. Jessi

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

It's generally not recommended to grind up chicken bones for pets, as small bone fragments can be sharp and pose a risk of injury or digestive issues. Feeding pets raw or cooked chicken bones is a practice that should be approached with caution. If you want to provide your pet with bone-related benefits, it's safer to offer commercially prepared and appropriately processed bone products designed for pets. Always consult with a veterinarian for guidance on what is safe and suitable for your specific pet.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Nov 3, 2023
  17. Jessi

CyberTricia New Member

I make my own chicken bone broth and after I take all the pressure cooked chicken bones and grind it up in my Ninja processor to make a paste and then put that in dog treat molds and freeze them. My dogs are crazy for them!

CyberTricia, Jan 25, 2024
Ask a Question