Greeting Visitors

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by teamrose, Oct 15, 2012.

1. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

My dog love people. Whenever anyone comes to the house she runs and jumps up on them. Now most of my friends also love dogs and love her which makes her boisterous greetings okay. However, when strangers come by or God forbid someone that doesn't like dogs, how do I stop her from running and jumping up on the visitor?

teamrose, Oct 15, 2012
  2. teamrose

claudine Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this too but my problem is slightly different: my Homer hates people. When I have a visitor, Homer runs to him or her immediately and he starts to bark. Fortunately, he doesn't bite them. Teamrose, does your dog know the sit command? Maybe if you gave her treats every time she listens to you, she would give up on jumping? I always try to bribe my dog and it sometimes work:p

claudine, Oct 15, 2012
  3. teamrose

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Trixie loves to smell new people and is generally happy around them. She will try to jump on them, but she's so tiny. She's good around people, but they have to realize she doesn't want you in her face.

pilot2fly, Oct 16, 2012
  4. teamrose

Chasek8 Member

I have experienced this issue with a few different dogs and I found that the best way to deal with it is to first place a sign on the door that reads, "Please be patient we are training our dog. When you enter please do not talk to, or touch the dog." Then when someone comes to the door do not open it right away. You first go to the door and claim the space, making your dog move back about 2 feet or so and getting them to sit. once the dog has calmed down then you open the door, but do not allow the dog to come to the person until they are inside and the door is closed. At first this will take a few tries, and it may be helpful to practice with family and friends. Once the person is inside tell that not to touch the dog, or talk to it until it has calmed down, otherwise the dog thinks it is getting praised for its over-excitement. Only after the dog has calmed again completely should it be addressed.

It is a long process, and requires consistency and practice, but after a week or two you will see the results. Try to do this with as little actually talking to the animal as possible, dogs do not hear words they feel energy, and interpret tone. :)
    Hope this helps, it did for me.

Chasek8, Oct 16, 2012
  5. teamrose

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our dogs would get super excited too and bark up a storm for about the first 10-15 minutes. We seldom have strangers or visitors over, so they weren't used to seeing new people very often. The only catch was, they did not like for people to be wearing hats for some reason - they would get really frightened for some reason by it.

OhioTom76, Oct 17, 2012
  6. teamrose

teamrose Active Member

Wow, just wow. This was absolutely the best advice ever. It is exactly what I need. I'm trying it today with just a little success. I believe it is going to work in a few days.

teamrose, Oct 23, 2012
Ask a Question