Grapes and Raisins

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by nikki, Aug 20, 2012.

1. nikki

nikki Well-Known Member

PSA for dog owners. Grapes and raisins can cause renal failure!!!!! I had NO idea.

nikki, Aug 20, 2012
  2. nikki

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh no..what a terrible news! I had no idea either. My dog has never eaten grapes but he likes raisins very much. I felt that maybe it's not a good food for a dog, so I've never given him many of them, but from time to time one or two raisins were a treat. Now I won't give him any.Thank you so much for sharing this!

claudine, Aug 20, 2012
  3. nikki

Jessi Well-Known Member

Having one or two won't hurt them.

" The estimated toxic dose of grapes is 32 g/kg (1.1oz/kg) (grams of grapes per kilograms of mass of the dog), and for raisins it is 11–30 g/kg. (0.39 – 1.06 oz/kg)"

Here's more info on what it does to them. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs

Jessi, Aug 20, 2012
  4. nikki

nikki Well-Known Member

Thank you for that link. One or two is fine but I had no idea it was so bad for them! It seems like such a harmless food.

nikki, Aug 22, 2012
  5. nikki

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

Oh wow! I didn't realize that grapes and raisins were toxic for dogs. I knew they were bad for them, but I was always told it was because they can choke on them. I will not be feeding any grapes or raisins to my dogs again!! THANK YOU!! :)

AutumnFaith2012, Aug 31, 2012
  6. nikki

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Good thing none of my dogs have a yearning for grapes or raisins. Benjamas, my Poodle, does like rambutans, though. There's no way that I can have some without sharing with her. She would wait patiently but if I finish mine first, she would remind me with a sharp bark.

Victor Leigh, Sep 4, 2012
  7. nikki

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I didn't know this either. I am sure my dogs have eaten a grape or two they are crazy about food. I will have to make sure to keep an eye on the situation now that I know. I have heard chocolate is fatal but I saw a dog eat chocolate cake and it was fine.

iluvmario, Sep 6, 2012
  8. nikki

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

It's one of those foods you have to be careful with. A little is actually OK, but too much causes an issue. You should never feed a dog raw potato, raw salmon, or onions. Neither should you feed them chocolate.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 7, 2012
Ask a Question