Grain Free Dog Food

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by argon_0, Dec 15, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I bought some imported brand dog food called Taste of the Wild at an exorbitant price of, on special would you believe, 5 lbs for $16 normally A$20 or US$21.12. :eek:

This type of dry dog food appears to be hard to get here in Oz and I wonder why?
    Has anyone else tried this brand and are other grain free brands available?

argon_0, Dec 15, 2012
  2. argon_0

pigeon_small Active Member

Wow a dog food with no grains? Yeah I figure that's going to contribute to the steep pricing. But I figure the quality of the food makes the price worth it. But why would it be hard for you to get it? Maybe you can order some through a mail service. To be honest the only other dogfood I know about that's sort of like this has meat and potato in it. I guess potato can't be counted as a grain and as far as I know, potato is okay for a dog to eat as long as you cook it. Raw potato isn't good for anyone because of possible poison. I haven't tried this brand, and I probably won't be able to. Never seen it sold in my home town. Perhaps ordering it is possible.

I poked around on YouTube and found this video. Maybe this is helpful.

pigeon_small, Feb 1, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm on a gluten free diet so my Homer gets a lot of gluten free treats because I sometimes share my bread with him, he loves it. He actually seems to like it more than regular bread. His food isn't grain free though, maybe I should look for something like this.

claudine, Feb 4, 2013
  4. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

Why not just make your own then? The grain is usually a filler. If you take it out, what you're left with is meat and vegetables. That's cheaper to simply buy yourself and put in your dog's dish everyday.

Jessi, Feb 4, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. argon_0

shdws Well-Known Member

Jessi made a good suggestion. While I don't make my own dog food right now, I can definitely see the benefits of doing so.

shdws, Feb 8, 2013
  6. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Since we started Mishka on her grain free dog food she has had no gastro problems.
    We've been giving her an 8 oz cup in the morning and a handful of beef or lamb mince (ground meat) in the evening together with a half a can of pilchard/sardines cat food which has only gelling agent and a small amount of salt in it.
    It may cost more to feed her but she is a part of the family and her health is just as important.

argon_0, Feb 11, 2013
  7. argon_0

trishgl Well-Known Member

It would definitely cost more as grain free dog food is only composed of meat and a bit of vegetables and or fruits.. Grain free is not ideal for some dogs since with more meat it also tends to be high in fat content. If you have a dog that is very active this should not be a problem but if he isn't then your dog could gain weight. Consult your Vet first if going grain free is good for your dog.

trishgl, Mar 23, 2013
Ask a Question