Giving you dogs vaccinations yourself

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by luvsdragonflies, Apr 13, 2012.

1. luvsdragonflies

luvsdragonflies Member

We give our dogs their vaccinations ourselves mostly due to the fact they are more comfortable with us then, with the vet. Plus, my hubby went to vet assistant classes and has given animals vaccines for over ten years. Do any of you give your dogs their shots?

luvsdragonflies, Apr 13, 2012
  2. luvsdragonflies

argon_0 Well-Known Member

No. I was not aware that it was possible? I must look into it. Mishka's never been good with the vets either. We have also given insulin for several years to a previous dog so I guess we would have some ability to do so. Thanks for that luvsdragonflies.

argon_0, Apr 13, 2012
  3. luvsdragonflies

kinser Well-Known Member

I have in the past for another dog I owned. I have to travel pretty far just to buy the vaccines, however, so it's more convenient to just have a vet do it. Especially with the price of gas the way it is! If I remember correctly, the only vaccine I wasn't able to buy was rabies.

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
  4. luvsdragonflies

kinser Well-Known Member

I have in the past for another dog I owned. I have to travel pretty far just to buy the vaccines, however, so it's more convenient to just have a vet do it. Especially with the price of gas the way it is! If I remember correctly, the only vaccine I wasn't able to buy was rabies.

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
  5. luvsdragonflies

haopee Well-Known Member

We don't, because it's mandatory in our country that only veterinarians can give them their vaccinations.

Although I've seen some owners do it themselves, I'd rather stick with having the vet do it so we get to have the medical booklet complete with the veterinarian's remarks and signature. I love travelling and it'll definitely make my life easier when my dog is up to date with her shots with the doctor's certificate that she is safe to travel with me.

haopee, Apr 13, 2012
  6. luvsdragonflies

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not done that and I think will just prefer some vet to do it for our dogs. :p
    Our dogs can manage to behave as long as we are there holding them.

zararina, Apr 14, 2012
  7. luvsdragonflies

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope, we don't. I don't think it's allowed here either, or it'd be worth looking into. I think I'd still likely prefer a vet to do it considering I haven't had any formal training.

Jessi, Apr 15, 2012
  8. luvsdragonflies

summerRain Well-Known Member

I am the one who are injecting vaccines in our dogs. We have a family friend who is a veterinarian and she guides me with the proper dosage, route, and vaccine that our dogs should have.

summerRain, Apr 15, 2012
Ask a Question