Getting through the first three years

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 6, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

The first three years are difficult, aren't they? My previous dog, Sierra, was a wonderful dog. She nearly drove me over the edge those first three years, though. She was dominant and challenged me every chance she got. Then she turned three and it was if she suddenly understood all the dog training.

Misha will be three this month. She has been the opposite of Sierra. Instead of being dominant, she is fearful. I've had to really work with her on socialization, reactions to loud noises, and so forth.

She has gotten into her share of trouble. For a few months, she developed the bad habit of eating the carpet. She could pull the strands out!

I am noticing that as she gets closer to her third birthday she is settling down. Well, as much as a Jack Russell settles down. LOL I try to channel that energy into more positive ways. It isn't always easy, though.

I think it's a good thing that puppies are so cute. It can be a challenge getting a puppy to adulthood.

Melody, May 6, 2012
  2. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog is probably around 3 years now, we've had him for just over 2 years and I do notice that SOME of his behaviors seem to be getting better just with time. I hope that trend continues!

MakingCents, May 7, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I think mostly on our dogs, the puppy stage is the most difficult because the dog was not trained yet where to poo and pee. And it was the stage that the dog would want to chew the slippers and other things he/she could reach.

zararina, May 7, 2012
  4. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

So she is a JRT!

I love Jack Russel Terriers. My Peanuts is part JRT and she acts and looks the part. She also has an abundant amount of energy. At nights, when she is bored, I seldom hear her run to and fro until she wears herself out. She's very independent and since she has toys to keep her busy- one of which is a living breathing stuff toy ( a darling little Shih-Tzu who is her new pack sister), I haven't experienced any kind of destructive or bad behavior ever since she'd been house broken.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to Sierra? Does Misha have a pack sibling in your household?

haopee, May 7, 2012
  5. Melody

kinser Well-Known Member

My German shepherd just turned 2 and has a loooooooong way to go before settling down. I can only hope if will happen within the next year, but I don't think so. My Lab/Rott just turned 3, and is still very playful, but really settled down and responded better after he passed his first birthday. He is super-intelligent, though.

kinser, May 7, 2012
  6. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy, my Bangkeaw, was near three before she stopped being playful like a puppy. However I have noticed that's quite common with Bangkeaws. I have talked to my friends who also have Bangkeaws and they have noticed the same thing. My other dogs tend to grow up at about one year.

Victor Leigh, May 12, 2012
  7. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I had to look up a picture of a Bangkeaw and they are ADORABLE dogs! They look like a cross between a St. Bernard and a Husky. I know that's a little off topic but very cute!

MakingCents, May 14, 2012
Ask a Question