Getting a Dog With an Adult Cat Around.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TurkeyCat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat New Member

Here's the situation. I have this cat (the one in my avatar) and she likes to stay indoors. She's an indoor cat. Now I have some yard space that's pretty big, it's fenced in. I see no real reason why I shouldn't get a dog.

Here's my question: If I go to the shelter and pick up a dog that is known to get along with cats, then what signs to I need to look for in the dog to find out whether or not that dog will continue to be safe for the cat?

Maybe I'm being naive, but I would like to think that this is possible.

Does anyone have any experience with bringing a dog around an adult cat?

TurkeyCat, Mar 31, 2013
  2. TurkeyCat

zararina Well-Known Member

We actually have a cat and a dog around.
    Our dog comes first and we adopted the adult cat. At first few days, they seem not liking each other since they are new to each other. But as time passed, they get along well although they do not play together. :p

I think better if you get a small or medium sized dog so that he or she will not look that scary for your cat a first. Lol

zararina, Mar 31, 2013
  3. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat New Member

I'm actually thinking I want to get a German Shepard. Only as a puppy and try things out like that. I mean what's a puppy going to do to Turkey? Right? I'll have to make sure Turkey doesn't hurt the puppy.

Only bad thing is holy crap are German Shepard puppies expensive! I was looking in the classified ads today on Craigslist and 300 dollars, 500 dollars??? That's insane. ><

I watched some show where this guy had a German Shepard and the dog was so easy going and laid back, very very smart too. He was explaining how dogs end up with their personalities and a lot fo it has to do with how they are raised and brought up.

TurkeyCat, Apr 1, 2013
  4. TurkeyCat

haopee Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure, if the shelter staff are confident that the dog can get along with cats, then there's no reason for you to worry about getting that dog.

However, you should understand that introducing them correctly play a crucial part in making sure they start their relationship right. So make sure to have the puppy crated the first time you bring him in your home.

Here are some tips for you to consider before bringing that puppy home.

1. Make sure you secure Turkey's litter box and feeding bowls so they're out of the pup's reach.
    2. Provide Turkey with a comfortable area to stay at (preferably at a high level).
    3. You might have to train Turkey to use the window if she's accustomed to using a cat door.

Good luck!

haopee, Apr 3, 2013
Ask a Question