General health

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Do you consider your dog to be generally in a good state? How do you keep them healthy? Have they ever had any health problems? How did you solve them or did they just clear themselves up?

GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

Fortunately my Homer is really healthy, so far we haven't had to face any serious problems and it makes me very happy. I know it would break my heart if he wasn't feeling well. To prevent it, we visit the veterinarian regularly and I make sure that Homer eats healthy and doesn't lack any vitamins. And we spend a lot of time outside the house, I believe that breathing fresh air can be very beneficial.

claudine, May 10, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I considered our recent dog healthy as he loves to eat and very energetic. Also good thing that he have not been really sick ever since.

zararina, May 30, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

worldmachine Member

Keeping a dog healthy should be no problem at all, proper nutrition of course is the main benefit, adequate exercise is a must, keeping fleas at bay, maintaining their teeth and regular check ups with the vet should all be the norm. I believe plenty of human interaction is essential for a dogs well being, they should not be left alone for long periods of time. Boredom and depression can set in causing the dogs general health to go down hill.

Environment is important for a dog, if they can be exposed to plenty of fresh air, countryside and sea then that is great for the dog. Plenty of stimulation with different toys and game playing with humans will also benefit the dogs overall well being.

worldmachine, Mar 23, 2015
  5. GavinMcresty

Trellum Well-Known Member

My frida has an excellent health, but that is no coincidence! I take really good care of her, we see her vet every 6 months for a check up and get some of her shots. I also take good care of what she eats :) I feed her with the blue buffalo dog food brand and she loves it. We'd go for walks on a daily basis, but I live in a place where going for a walk every morning is not a good idea (robbers, a lot dogs, lonely guys, etc). I will be moving to a better place soon, so we might go for a walk often :)

Trellum, Jun 8, 2015
  6. GavinMcresty

Diana Smith Member

Amber, my two and a half year old Golden Retriever is obese. She recently tested positive for a thyroid condition and is now on Royal Canine weight control food for a special diet food as well as thyroid medication. I am told that she will have to be on the medication for the rest of her life.

She started on the medication a month ago and has finally started to lose some weight. She originally weighed in at a whopping 114 pounds and is now down to 101. She is not a large Golden Retriever and started developing a weight problem when she was just a puppy.

It actually took her four weeks to finally start losing some weight. In every other way she is a very healthy and happy girl!

I am wondering if anyone may have a home-made dog food recipe solution for a condition such as hers for later on when she has lost enough weight.

Diana Smith, Jun 12, 2015
  7. GavinMcresty

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mine is in a healthy stage generally, and had all his shots. I only feed him healthy food, or at least dog food that isn't full of chemicals or artificial stuffs. Same with treats, I bought mainly the natural ones. I think it is better to be preventive now than sorry later.

IcyBC, Jul 30, 2015
  8. GavinMcresty

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My dogs are in pretty good shape. The "old man", Bowser, that passed recently had parvo and survived before he came to live with us. I already knew it was going to shorten his life span, but its still so sad!

LilAnn, Aug 11, 2015
Ask a Question