From Feral Pit Bull to Family Dog Thanks to The Devoted Barn

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

When Oscar was brought into Michigan’s Saginaw County Animal Control Shelter on the 8th of September, things didn’t exactly look good for him. After being accused of biting someone, he was considered unadoptable and given the moniker Number 9238.

Oscar was rescued Sunday the 21st of September by Melissa Borden from The Devoted Barn. The Devoted Barn is a rescue group out of the Monroe area, and specializes in getting feral dogs accustomed to human interaction and contact.

For almost the entire ride home, some 120 miles, Oscar cuddled up to Borden. It seemed to take him no time at all to warm up to her.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2014/09/from-feral-pit-bull-to-family-dog-thanks-to-the-devoted-barn/

Trellum, Sep 25, 2014
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Wow, this story happened in my State. Although I don't live anywhere near these area, but when travel to Ohio, we have to go through Monroe and it is nice there is a rescue group in that area. I am so happy to know that Oscar found a nice person to be with.

IcyBC, Dec 24, 2015
  3. Trellum

Yeah, I think it's amazing this dog managed to find a good owner, I truly hope this will be his forever home, but I guess only time will tell. So grateful there are so many rescue sites out there :)

Trellum, Dec 24, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I just checked out their adoptable animals page, and Oscar isn't on it, but it has been a while. I hope that lady took him to her home for his entire life.

I have read that once a dog has a taste for blood, you can't get it out of his system. Is there any true to that? Is this the reason why the dogs were put down after they bite someone?

IcyBC, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Trellum

@IcyBC I think that is just a myth, I've met dogs that were rescued and lived normal lives :) But of course, when a dog bites someone in some places they decide to put down the dog because that is the easiest thing to do for them, because they know not many people would want to rescue a dog that did such a thing... That is why they test dogs in most rescue centers, to make sure they are not biters or are capable to react aggressively if pet while eating or if the bowl is removed. The rest is sent to those rescue ''heavens'', because they cant really be adopted.

Trellum, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Good to know it is a myth @Trellum about biting dogs and why they are being put down. I am concerned and fear this part the most for Capone. He is the sweetest dog in the world, but his bark is loud and his posture scares people who come to the house. I guess I haven't really clear out my thought with the Pit Bull side of him and their reputation yet.

IcyBC, Jan 10, 2016
  7. Trellum

@IcyBC Sadly people feel this way even with small pups. Yesterday we were outside a place waiting for someone one to open, and there was a pit bull puppy there! I felt kind of sad, because the puppy got closer when someone walked by, as he was really asking to be touched, but on one did :( Poor little pit bull!

Trellum, Jan 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I used to have the fear of Pit bull, German Shepard, and Chow. The Chow is also known for their biting. One of my old friends' daughter was bitten on her cheeks and oh boy, it was very bad.

Now, I am not as scare, but I am cautious if I don't know the dog. My neighbor has the half Chow mix, the one that ran away all the time and has to be put on an electric collard. This one reminds me of the Chow that bit the little girl.

IcyBC, Jan 16, 2016
  9. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am always happy to read of these stories. I believe that just as humans can change so can a lot of animals. It might sound pretty awesome but sometimes I think you can have more success with some animals than with some humans.

Winterybella, Jan 23, 2016
  10. Trellum

Skyspiritflfl Member

Ceasar Milan on his show often shows biting dogs that have been rehabilitated. It's a breed discrimination issue for the most part when it comes to biting dogs that are put down. I also believe it is very sad that so many states have anti-breed laws now which keeps some of the most needy of dogs pit-bulls, dobermans, shepherds and others from finding good homes. While I do believe biting dogs can be rehabilitated, it goes without saying that if a dog mauls someone to death then the dog may need to be put on a special farm or ranch - in most cases, the news is that these dogs are put down - perhaps we could come up with a resolution - After all, it is not every human that kills someone that is put to death' - just sayin'

Skyspiritflfl, Feb 1, 2016
  11. Trellum

Djordje87 Active Member

It is so nice and refreshing to hear this. In my town one person made something similar by his own two hands and he has or had more than 500 dogs. The epilogue was that he was forced by the city to move the shelter from that place because it was built on the city property. I understand the problem but how come that is the only shelter for dogs in the area and the city or the whole country worried only about destroying it? Unbelievable. I don't know what happened but it was a viral global trend to help the guy's animals.
    https://www.facebook.com/savesashasdogs/

This is really a nice story and I am so glad that people still have love for these beautiful animals and obviously tha animals feel the love.

Djordje87, Feb 3, 2016
Ask a Question