Frequency of feeding

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Corzhens, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When we had our very first puppy that we named Jedi, we were feeding her breakfast lunch and dinner. But when she was 4 years old and there was no one left in the house during weekdays (we were all working) Jedi's feeding is only breakfast and dinner. When we consulted the vet, he said it is all right because the dog can always adapt to situations. In fact, said the vet, some dogs are fed only once a day and they look healthy.

How many times do you feed your dog?

Corzhens, Apr 27, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Right now, Capone is fed twice a day, morning and evening! Then he changes on his own, and eats whenever he wants. I put out the food in the morning along with fresh water. If he finishes it, then I will add for in the evening, if not, then the food is there for him whenever he wants to eat.

He is healthy and he is at a good weight, the vet said. So I am not worry if some days he only eats once.

IcyBC, May 2, 2016
  3. Corzhens

Trellum Well-Known Member

I always fed my puppies 3 times a day, but once they reached adulthood I fed them only once a day, sometimes twice. I never left a lot food in their plate, because I knew that my little pug would try to eat the food of my Frida :p For me feeding them once a day worked perfect, they never got overweight.

Trellum, May 2, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Snary84 Member

I feed mine twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, and then I give them the occasional treat during the day (usually just one carrot or a small dog biscuit each). When they were puppies I fed them trice a day because my vet had told me to do so. I don't think I could feed them only once in a whole day, they are used this way and they always wake up super hungry. If I'm late they go crazy and start harassing me until they've had their food.

Snary84, May 2, 2016
  5. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

We feed Homer 4 times a day, after every walk. He's used to eating small portions often. Food is what he loves the most:) We also give him little treats between meals.
    He isn't overweight, so I guess it's fine:)

claudine, May 9, 2016
  6. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

I have on various occasions seen literature suggesting that one should feed their dogs once per day. I don't subscribe to this school of thought since dogs seem to be hungry oftentimes. I suppose feeding them on two hearty meals should suffice but chipping something during the course of the day should do no harm.

remnant, May 9, 2016
  7. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think the advice of feeding the dog once a day really is for those working couples who are not home for the majority of the time, since the dog isn't using up his energy sitting in the cage by himself all day, or just laying around on the couch.

My vet asked if someone would be home part of the day, and told me two meals a day is good for the dog's digestive system than one. So, this was what I do for Capone.

IcyBC, May 22, 2016
  8. Corzhens

cluckeyo Active Member

We feed our pets, formally, once a day. They get the canned food and enough crumbles to last awhile, also their medicine and fresh water. Our dog loves people food though, and she gets a little of that intermittently throughout the day, as well. Just a little.

cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016
Ask a Question