For or against breeding..

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I guess that is the category that I fall into. In 8 years I have produced 2 litters and it was to better the structure and health of the dogs. I own a fairly new breed and really at this point it still does not fall into the classification of a breed by AKC or UKC standards but it is on its way. While I do share the idea that the shelters and pounds should never be full the unfortunate part of it is there are many people who think of dogs and cats as throw away animals. This is why I run extensive background checks, do home visits and a number of other things. I have it stated in my contract that if at any point in time there is an issue with the dog or they find it is not a good fit for the family that I am too be contacted and will make the proper arrangements for the puppy/dog. I keep in contact with every single person I have ever placed or sold a dog to and I see them all once a year at shows and we do a "family" get together once a year. I think if breeders went through what I go through and weren't turning out litter after litter that would be a benefit for the dogs. And the other side of that is I have never turned a profit because everything comes out of my pocket and what I do make on a sale goes right back into the emergency fund for the dogs and the rest goes to upkeep and care. Too many think that selling dogs will make them money, I have spent 10x's what I have made over the years just in show cost, food and vet care. Too many breeders doing it for the wrong reason. It should be about bettering the breed not turning a profit.

MzMonka, Jun 1, 2013
  2. Evilsprinkles

Trellum Well-Known Member

Some years ago I was totally ok with dog breeding, but recently after actually realizing breeders are the main reason there are a lot homeless dogs out there. Because we all know how it all starts, a family buys a puppy, said family get tired of it and decide to abandon it. If only more people actually adopted instead of buying... maybe if buying a dog wasn't so easy.. but where live there are so many dog breeders. It's easier to buy a dog than adopt it.

Trellum, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Evilsprinkles

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Responsible breeding is fine by me, but this thing where people put the "best' two dogs they can find to produce another high priced breed is wrong in my humble opinion. Often it seems to be more about the big bucks than it is about finding good homes for the pets.

Winterybella, Jun 17, 2015
  4. Evilsprinkles

Diana Smith Member

I would like to see the dogs who are homeless and those lucky enough to be in foster homes and shelters be adopted in preference to breeding and bringing new lives into the world. There are so many dogs that are abandoned, mistreated and worse and I would love nothing more than to rescue every single one of them! Breeding I think is okay although I would like it if breeders would agree to voluntarily limit the amount of breedings they would do each year in favour of helping to find good safe homes for as many of the animals that are already alive as possible.

It breaks my heart to see so many postings on places like craigslist for dogs being re-homed and usually it is clear that a lot of these people who are posting are looking to get rid of an older dog so they can adopt a younger and healthier one. To me, taking on the responsibility of adopting an animal should be taken as seriously as adopting a child.

Diana Smith, Jun 21, 2015
  5. Evilsprinkles

Trellum, do you remember the story of Ginger? Well I spoke to the young lady recently and she told me the dog she promised to have fixed( Ginger's mom) has pups again. Didn't you predict that would happen? I am disgusted. I want to believe that she did not want any more but I don't know what to believe.

Winterybella, Jun 22, 2015
  6. Evilsprinkles

Jesus, and she had the nerve to tell you? LOL, oh my that girl is shameless! Great, so what is she plannig to do with the pups? Anne, some people seem to be a bit brain dead, no matter how many times you explain them x or y thing is not ok for w or h reason. She is a lost case and doubt she will ever change. I feel disgusted as well, poor puppies :( Odds are some of them will end up living in the street and making more puppies :(:confused:

Trellum, Jun 23, 2015
  7. Evilsprinkles

She said she told her dad to have it done, and she's upset. I did not get into the subject too much. I was just disappointed an upset. I am thinking if it was something very important to her she would have had it done and not wait for "daddy" to get it done. It's not like we are talking about a toddler. I did not even ask how many of them there are. Poor little things. Not every dog will be like Ginger. As for her. She needs her own thread- no, her own forum.

Winterybella, Jun 25, 2015
  8. Evilsprinkles

How are things going with Ginger? Has she finally learnt to go potty outside and not indoors? I sure hope so! And you are right, not everyone out there is as patient as you are, because you actually are super patient. I can tell! It's so sad this had to happen :( And I bet that dog will never get fixed. I mean, they can't even keep her from leave the house...

Trellum, Jun 25, 2015
  9. Evilsprinkles

Ginger is coming along. I have been around a lot so I know when to let her go. The other day I had to stop her mid stream in a pee but on mornings and evenings, she goes out with the others. She is just unpredictable. Just when you think she has something covered she strikes. Recently she started going at whatever is left within reach. She bit up the cover of my son's Bible (that he hasn't looked in a while), went to town on some other spiritual material and then torn up a not so nice letter from the bank. Some might say she's making a statement. I think she needs more toys and she will eventually be okay I hope.

Winterybella, Jun 25, 2015
  10. Evilsprinkles

Oh no, so she hasn't learnt yet? It seems she is a nut hard to crack, but it does sound like she is making some progress. That is better than nothing :) And yes, I think she might need some toys. Or maybe she is trying to relieve some tooth pain. It seems she has a really strong personality, hehehe, some people think all dogs are the same, but am convinced they all have very different personalities.

Trellum, Jun 26, 2015
  11. Evilsprinkles

Actually, I was thinking about the personalities and how different they are. Remy, the shy one, Zola the lover and once greedy child and now Ginger the "sweet" tyrant.

Winterybella, Jun 26, 2015
  12. Evilsprinkles

I know you have noticed ;) I was talking more about people who have no experience with dogs or their experience is very limited. For example, I just asked my mom if she thinks dogs have different personalities: she just said that she does think so. She just compared her actual dog and her former one, she said this one is very calm and nice, while the previous one was so violent and vicious, lol.

Trellum, Jun 28, 2015
  13. Evilsprinkles

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I'm friends with a staffordshire terrier who was born sickly. She wasn't just the runt, but there's more to it. I don't know all the details. She had a litter of puppies, unplanned. But they knew who daddy was. These pups should have been normal. But instead, they all came out mini-pits. Its the oddest thing I have ever seen. They, literally, stopped growing around 3 months old. They are absolutely adorable, and if I could have I would have taken at least one home. well, now those 2 are having puppies again. I'm wondering if it'll turn out the same...

LilAnn, Jul 6, 2015
Ask a Question