Fleas

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Gin L, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Gin L

Gin L Member

Does anyone else have a big problem with fleas this summer? Seems like this summer and last summer the fleas are impossible to get rid of. We have tried flea bombs, flea collars, medicines, etc. They just keep coming back! Would an exterminator help? Ugh! It got so bad last year that my dog was bleeding pretty bad. We gave him Frontline, but that didn't seem to do anything! Now my cat is having trouble with them.

Gin L, Jul 10, 2015
  2. Gin L

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, I thought we didn't have a flea issue, until I found a dead flea on the bathroom's window, no idea what the heck was doing there or ow it got there. I am guessing the cat is to blame, lol. We have already gotten a special powder and so far it seems all is good with both my cat and dog.

Trellum, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Gin L

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I just found a couple of fleas on Capone yesterday, and quickly made some flea shampoo to wash him outside since it was nice. My son and I rubbed this mixture and combed him thoroughly for a while, and we can also see the flea dropping out. Today, I did a thorough exam on him, and since he has short hair, everything is good! I just hate this flea business!

IcyBC, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Gin L

claudine Well-Known Member

Hello, Gin L!
    We tried Frontline, but it really doesn't work. Currently, my dog wears a flea repellent collar. It was kind of expensive, but it keeps all nasty insects away. I'm happy I bought it.

claudine, Jul 13, 2015
  5. Gin L

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Here is a cheap alternative for flea repellent collar, @claudine : soak your dog collar in vinegar or just spray a bit of vinegar on it. Fleas don't like the taste and smell of vinegar. Other thing you can do is make some lemon spray, by cutting up some lemons and cook it for a while to make some flea spray for your dog. Lemon juice has the same effect as vinegar.

IcyBC, Jul 18, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  6. Gin L

Wow, this is a great tip, thank you for telling me about it!:D I think I'll give it a try. Does vinegar repel ticks as well?

claudine, Jul 18, 2015
  7. Gin L

IcyBC Well-Known Member

From what I know, vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice will help keep the fleas and ticks away. There are some herbal oils remedies that work as well. Just do a Google search for natural ways to keep fleas and ticks and you will find all kind of solutions. I made my own flea and tick shampoo too to wash him since I don't want to pay $15 dollars for a bottle of chemicals (Just don't like the thought of putting chemicals on him).

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
  8. Gin L

I don't like the thought of putting chemicals on my Homer either. Most store bought dog products are loaded with awful substances:(
    Natural flea and tick shampoo sounds great:)

claudine, Jul 20, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. Gin L

IcyBC Well-Known Member

It is so much cheaper to make our own solutions and knowing exactly what we have put in there before we apply to our pets. The first time Capone got fleas was when I took him to a groomer to have his nail trimmed. I ran to the store to look for flea shampoo, but it was way out of my price range, and the ingredients were very frightening to read, for both humans and canines.

So my son looked it up on YouTube, and all you need were white vinegar, Dawn Liquid Dish Soap, and water. So we mixed those, and used it since.

IcyBC, Jul 21, 2015
  10. Gin L

That's true, dog shampoos and flea solutions can be really expensive. My Homer's collar costed around $30. It lasts a year, but I'd be much happier if I could spend the money on something else:)

claudine, Jul 21, 2015
Ask a Question