Flea and Tick Solutions

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by mirage1440, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mirage1440

mirage1440 New Member

Is anyone having any luck finding a flea and tick solution that actually works? I have gone through the expensive brands, the cheap brands, and even tried some herbal remedies. The fleas are just terrible and will not leave us alone. I have a Weimaraner, and her short coat makes it very easy to see all the fleas crawling around on her belly and back. I am pregnant and already have a daughter and would love to find a family-safe solution. Thanks!

mirage1440, Apr 18, 2012
  2. mirage1440

luvsdragonflies Member

I would love an answer to this as we are having trouble with fleas in our dog pen. I am also pregnant and have a daughter who is 2 so, we need something that is very safe.

luvsdragonflies, Apr 18, 2012
  3. mirage1440

zararina Well-Known Member

I remember using a anti flea powder for our dog and it works. It is "Shield Guard" and not sure if its a local brand or available internationally. I think you can find an anti flea powder too there although different brand.

Not sure if its safe for pregnant women, maybe it was labeled on the bottle or ask an expert like vet or doctor. ;)

zararina, Apr 19, 2012
  4. mirage1440

kinser Well-Known Member

Have you tried Frontline? I never have, because I've been fortunate enough to not have flea and tick problems with my dogs. My vet is always recommending Frontline, though, and others have told me it works well. I believe it either kills the parasite once it bites the animal, or renders it sterile - I'm not sure. I think it's easy to apply (like one drop on the back of the neck?)

kinser, Apr 24, 2012
  5. mirage1440

Denisab82 Member

We had to buy a product from our Veterinarian and it seemed to be the only thing that worked. It was a spray that you put on carpet and dog bedding. As far as preventative flea treatment that you apply to dogs, we haven't found anything yet that works. We tried Advantix on our dogs last year and it didn't seem to do anything. The key to getting rid of fleas though is to make sure you are treating everything (carpeting, bedding, etc.) and your animals at the same time, and keep treating them.

Denisab82, Apr 28, 2012
  6. mirage1440

claudine Well-Known Member

I use Frontline for Homer and it works great unless he gets wet. I've noticed that after the rain protection is no longer so good. But Homer doesn't have any fleas or ticks, so I think I can recommend it. Application is very easy indeed, one drop is enough.

claudine, Sep 12, 2012
  7. mirage1440

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I don't use flea and tick solutions, because they never last as long as they say they do, they're expensive, and they can cause massive skin issues. One of my dogs already HAS skin issues, and he's also epileptic, so I have to be careful.

I feed my two AND my cat, garlic. In small doses, it's perfectly safe. It's a natural flea and tick repellent, because they don't like how humans or animals taste, with garlic in their bloodstream. If you can get garlic paste in sunflower or vegetable oil, half a teaspoon for a dog, three times a week with their food, will suffice. For smaller dogs, give them a little less, same for cats. If you prefer to use fresh garlic, half a clove, three times a week, and half a SMALL clove for smaller dogs and cats.

It'll save you a lot of money, and your dogs won't get bitten. Don't pay large amounts of money for garlic tablets for dogs, they're a con. Use fresh or pureed garlic, and you're all sorted.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 13, 2012
  8. mirage1440

trishgl Well-Known Member

I tried the powders and they don't work. I also tried those herbalsoaps and gave my chow daily baths and that did not work either. Frontline every 2 months. was the only product that worked for chacha. As much as I hate applying chemicals to my dog nothing worked this well.

trishgl, Apr 5, 2013
  9. mirage1440

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Frontline doesn't seem to work on my dog and its expensive - he's a big dog and needs two tubes. I use Bio Spot which is considerably cheaper and repels a wide variety of insects. I buy it online at Cares A Lot pet supply or Pets A Lot Pet Supply. They have a shampoo that goes with it so the strength of the repellent isn't diminished when bathing the dog.

firelily99, Jan 7, 2014
  10. mirage1440

trishgl Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried using diatomaceous earth (DE)? The blog I read said that you mix 3 cups of DE with 1/2 a cup of boric acid. You are supposed to sprinkle it lightly around the areas ticks and fleas may live or hide in like carpets, closets, under furniture etc. After two days you vacuum the stuff away. If you mix it with equal parts salt it then dries the areas where they can hide and dehydrates the adult ticks and larvae. I haven't tried it though as I don't know where one can buy DE.

trishgl, Jan 28, 2014
  11. mirage1440

trinden Active Member

I saw this on a website i was looking at

Fleas

Even if you have the cleanest home fleas are difficult to keep out. Cedar oil is derived from the leaves, wood and roots of the cedar tree, and it’s a natural flea repellent! Mix five drops of oil with a few teaspoons of water, and dip your dog’s cloth collar or a bandana into it and tie it around your dog’s neck. While the oil itself doesn’t kill fleas, they can’t stand its smell and are less likely to make a home on your pet.

20 Mule Team Borax

While essential oils are useful for repelling fleas, a natural product that kills fleas can be found right in your laundry room. 20 Mule Team Borax is a common household cleaning product in the form of a powder, made with a naturally occurring mineral called borax. It’s safe for humans and domestic animals but toxic to fleas. Sprinkle the powder in carpets, on tile or hardwood floors, and on furniture. Then let it sit for several hours or overnight
    before vacuuming it up.

Rose geranium essential oil is successful for repelling ticks from dogs, apply a few dabs to your dog’s collar. (Not recommended for cats.)

trinden, Feb 1, 2015
  12. mirage1440

claudine Well-Known Member

Trinden, this is really interesting! I'd love to find a reliable, natural free repellent. Using cedar oil sounds like a good idea, I'll definitely give it a try.
    Currently, my Homer wears a special dog collar. It is said to repel most insects.

claudine, Feb 2, 2015
  13. mirage1440

trinden Active Member

let me know it you tried ii and if it worked.i tried it on my baby and it worked[​IMG]

trinden, Feb 2, 2015
  14. mirage1440

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am using vinegar and water mixture to spray my dog, and also soak his collar in the vinegar to keep the fleas away from him. Every two to three days, I also wipe his entire body with vinegar, and add a few drops into his drink. You can Google for home remedies to make fleas and ticks shampoo using vinegar and Dawn liquid dish soap too. It is much cheaper and safer for dogs.

IcyBC, Aug 10, 2015
  15. mirage1440

joycemcgregor Active Member

All of these suggestions for controlling fleas and ticks sound great and worth trying. My small dog is having a terrible time this summer and is constantly licking and chewing. It drives me crazy! By the way, the picture of the collie is just beautiful.

joycemcgregor, Oct 20, 2015
  16. mirage1440

remnant Well-Known Member

In my place, we use a very safe, simple and effective method. You simply apply a coat of used engine oil liberally over the dog's coat. It works wonders. At first, the dog is likely to protest but with time, he will get the gist of it. The oil chokes and suffocates fleas and ticks. The coat changes colour for a few days if the dog is black.

remnant, Mar 13, 2016
  17. mirage1440

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Wow this is new to me and I have to say I would be so terrified if I applied something and then the colour of the coat changed.

Winterybella, Mar 13, 2016
  18. mirage1440

nytegeek Active Member

I like revolution for treating my pets. I order it from an online outfit in Australia. It takes a long time to get to me in the states but it is well worth the money and the wait.

nytegeek, Mar 25, 2016
  19. mirage1440

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I will check that out although the Nexgard worked for me. They say if it's not broken don't fix it but I like to explore other options.Still Australia is a bit far for me.

Winterybella, Mar 25, 2016
Ask a Question