First Aid Kit: Petroleum Jelly

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by haopee, Mar 14, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Petroleum Jelly has a lot of uses. Here are just some of them.

1. Petroleum Jelly can hasten the healing process of wounds from insect bites and stings.

2. Putting Petroleum Jelly liberally on surfaces being bitten by insects or parasites can stop their bites from penetrating your dog's skin.

3. Petroleum Jelly suffocates parasites like mites (from mange) and ticks.

4. Petroleum Jelly helps in alleviating the irritation caused by insect bites.

haopee, Mar 14, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Some good tips. I've heard that 3. before but it was using hair conditioner on ticks but on humans. The Vaseline would work much better as it would stay on as a lump rather then spread.

argon_0, Mar 15, 2013
  3. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's a good tip. I haven't used petroleum jelly much actually. I rely more on antiseptics for cleaning wounds and acriflavin for local application. For problems with mites and ticks, I use medicated powders and shampoos.

Victor Leigh, Mar 15, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  4. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

These are great tips, thank you for sharing them. We often use Petroleum Jelly during winter. I always apply some of it on Homer's paws before we go for a walk because people here spill salt on sidewalks to melt the snow and Petroleum Jelly provides a nice protection from it and from ice.

claudine, Mar 15, 2013
  5. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I use number 4 for myself actually, ha.

I didn't know about the others, though. Those are good tips. For number 3, how do you use that? Would you just slather it all over the dog?

Jessi, Mar 15, 2013
  6. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

It was really a nice tip since petroleum jelly is very much available in the market. I never thought that it can be used to our dogs.

zararina, Apr 6, 2013
Ask a Question