Fenced in back yard the best?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

Do you think a fenced in back yard is best for dogs? Have been told that it makes a difference in the behavior of dogs. That dogs hooked up makes them more territorial. Has anyone ever heard that as well?

We used to have a run for one of our dogs then we switched over to a fenced in back yard. The initial expense was very difficult but to keep our dogs safe it was worth it. We have half an acre all fenced in for our three dogs.

They love to run together in the backyard to play. It also gives us a safe play area for them without neighborhood dogs coming in as well.

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  2. jowjo5

zararina Well-Known Member

I think depends on the place and the situation.
    We do have gates in our compound to ensure our dogs will not go out unknowingly. It is not safe for them outside since there are lots of stray dogs and we are near to a national roadway.

zararina, Feb 15, 2013
  3. jowjo5

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, for me it has certainly been the best thing to do. Not only for people coming to my front door, so they don;t have to deal with a dog attacking them. But its also good for the well being of our dogs as well. When I was younger we had our dog roam the front and back yards. However, this led to situations where the dogs did get out of the yard and some of these resulted in tragedy. Later we started to pin them in the back yard where the fence was much higher then in the front, and we found that this was a good solution to keeping our dogs safe.

pafjlh, Feb 17, 2013
  4. jowjo5

claudine Well-Known Member

I know it wouldn't make my Homer happy. He really likes to sit near the gateway in the front and bark at people who are passing by:eek: . It's one of his favorite things to do. Fortunately everybody here knows him already and my neighbours love him:D . We have a quite big garden and he runs wherever he wants.

claudine, Feb 17, 2013
  5. jowjo5

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Fenced in backyards are good, and much better than having to tie a dog out on a leash. However, sometimes I think people have fenced in backyards and they think that gives them a right to leave their dogs outside all the time.

MakingCents, Feb 17, 2013
  6. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's necessarily "best." I do know that I love having one, though, and I think it's great for our dog. Some dogs may need even more space or more one-on-one time to run with them instead. I think a fence is always better than a short chain.

Jessi, Feb 18, 2013
  7. jowjo5

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I agree a back yard is good for most dogs. I wish I had a back yard so I could let my dogs out to go to the bathroom and get exercise. Especially in the winter when it is freezing or icy outside.

iluvmario, Feb 18, 2013
Ask a Question