Favorite Breed?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by kinser, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

Mine is the German shepherd (I have one that has just turned 2 - I got him as a 9 wk. old pup, and he is my first experience with the breed; I'd always wanted one). They are loyal, protective, super intelligent (and therefore easily trained), and gorgeous. The downside? The massive amount of shedding! What's your favorite breed and why?

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
  2. kinser

summerRain Well-Known Member

I have a Shih Tzu and I love him so much though I always annoy him by throwing him on my bed (yeah I'm a bit harsh! LOL).. By the way, I want to have a Maltese puppy. I never had one that's why I cannot consider it as my favorite though. So far, this Shih Tzu is my favorite breed.

summerRain, Apr 15, 2012
  3. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

My favorite breed is our local breed here called Aspin. They are just medium sized, short haired/fur and not hard to care for. I also prefer those mixed breed dogs that are short haired.

zararina, Apr 15, 2012
  4. kinser

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Australian Shepherds are my favorite breed. I think my favorite thing about them are just their eyes.

[​IMG]

(The above photo is not a picture of my dog. It's just an example I found on the internet.)

A lot of Australian Shepherds have mismatched eye colors. I think it's really beautiful.

Shepherd, Jul 19, 2012
    pugskjj likes this.
  5. kinser

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Until 4 years ago it was the Pug, I even go by pugs online LOL but then I met Kotton and fell in love with Chihuahuas and can't imagine having any other dog (well other than my Kash). They have such unique personalities and are so "human like"

pugskjj, Jul 21, 2012
  6. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, I really don't know that I have one. I usually end up being drawn to mutts, lol. So then they're mixed breeds of this variety of that. I doubt I ever actually purchase or adopt a purebred dog of any sort either, so I guess that's a good thing that I don't really lean in one direction or another.

Jessi, Jul 21, 2012
  7. kinser

Chasek8 Member

My favorite breed is the Rottweiler. I used to be very afraid of these dogs, you hear all the horror stories and you automatically think the worst. About 4 years ago my boyfriend and I adopted a Rotti off one of his friends. She was a few years old and rather aggressive at the time, I was very weary of the entire situation. It didn't take long to work through the dogs issues and she was very intelligent. Once we got past these problems she became one of the greatest dogs I have ever had. She passed away 6 mos ago, but we have a male Rotti now that is one of her pups. These dogs are loving and protective. They are affectionate and loyal. They can be stubborn at times, and need to be shown regularly who the boss is, but they are highly intelligent and this makes them easy to train. I would recommend a Rottweiler for a pet.

Chasek8, Oct 16, 2012
  8. kinser

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I can't believe I missed this topic. Anyway, my favorite breed of dog is the Labrador Retriever. I was fortunate enough to have one of these and I found them to be a well mannered dog who could easily be trained. I also like the German Shepard another dog that is easy to train, and I had one of those once. However, I have found that for the most part I like most breeds of dog, I had to living in my home, where we have had dogs for years. In fact, there was really only one breed that I really didn't like while growing up and that was the Chihuahua I always thought of this a breed of dog that acted like a little punk and was annoying. Then along came to original Buddy who was this breed of dog, and yes he had his moments where he could act like he was a little punk, guess its int the breed, he was also a loving and devoted dog to my family.

pafjlh, Nov 27, 2012
  9. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My favorite is the Dobermann. They are so big and yet so trainable. They also need a lot of exercise. In fact, they must have their daily run or they would actually fall sick. Another thing they need a lot of is food. Dark Lady can finish a pot of cooked rice in just one sitting. Cooked rice plus minced meat, of course.

Victor Leigh, Nov 28, 2012
  10. kinser

iluvmario Well-Known Member

My favorite breed is Yorkshire Terrier. I love little dogs and Yorkies are the best little dogs. They are smart an have a lot of personality.

iluvmario, Dec 1, 2012
  11. kinser

jowjo5 Active Member

Right now we seem to be in a Bernese Mt dog phase. Big love bugs who are slow moving and kind. Just a big teddy bear type of dog.
    We never intended to have large beds but we saw them and studied them and had to experience one. Now we have two!
    We also have a Yellow Lab and he is so much fun, he is the energy of the group!

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  12. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

I love Yorkies, it's definitely my favorite breed! They look so adorable, they're tiny - which is a good thing because they don't eat too much and they aren't dangerous. Yorkies are individualists, they're energetic and cheerful. You can never be bored if you own one:D

claudine, Feb 23, 2013
  13. kinser

trishgl Well-Known Member

My husband really wanted a chowchow but I was hesitant because of all the info you read online that they are an aggressive breed and that they bite. When we got chacha at 3 months I just fell in love with how cute she was.. She was a bit rowdy and liked to nip at first but we were able to stop that behavior and now she’s just a sweetheart. I can't imagine how people would think they are an aggressive breed.

trishgl, Mar 21, 2013
  14. kinser

I think it all depends on how you train your dog. Of course for some breeds it's easier to be aggressive but if the owner is responsible, I believe that the dog won't cause any problems.
    My Homer is quite aggressive even though Yorkies usually are sweet dogs:p

claudine, Mar 21, 2013
  15. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Sometimes it not just the training which affects a dog's temperament. The character of the owner very often rubs off on the dog. A grumpy owner will eventually end up with a grumpy dog. Same with a happy easy-going owner will end up with a happy and easy-going dog. Myself, I am not much of a talker. Maybe that's why my dogs are quiet, too.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2013
  16. kinser

Well... I hope it's true only in some cases. Although my Homer is very sweet and cheerful, he is also selfish, aggressive and lordly - should I worry?:p

claudine, Mar 23, 2013
  17. kinser

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

My favorite breed would have to be the Newfoundland dog. They're so big and fuzzy! One time, I was walking through Wal-Mart and this woman had a huge black dog covered in fur. I was shocked but very mesmerized (I was about 8 or 9). So I asked the owner of the dog what kind of dog it was, and she tells me. From then on, I've always wanted a newfoundland.

I also love mastiffs![​IMG]

DappleGrey, Mar 29, 2013
  18. kinser

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I have owned a lot of breeds but at this point my favorite is the American Bully. They are outstanding family dogs and they have a real laid back attitude. They are social which is outstanding because it doesn't limit where I can take them. My avatar is actually my American Bully Gigi, I love her smile.

MzMonka, Apr 12, 2013
  19. kinser

Recently I fell in love with Malteses - they're so small and adorable!!! They're as cute as Yorkies, I would love to have one. Just look how lovely he is:

[​IMG]

claudine, Apr 13, 2013
  20. kinser

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

I love chihuahas! I used to only like them because theyre small but people used to scare me talking about how yippy and awful they are. I have 2 of them now and theyre chihuaha mixes, maybe its because their mix that give them the personallities and mannerisms they have, but now Im absolutely in love with chihuahas. Chihuaha pomeranians to be more precise.

lifeliveson, Apr 19, 2013
Ask a Question