Eating grass

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mak73, Aug 7, 2015.

1. mak73

mak73 Member

My pit bull likes to eat grass, and other greens in the yard. (like my tomato plants, parsley, zucchini leaves etc) is this normal? She's fine. She eats her food . Sometimes she gets people food, but not often. She doesn't get sick or anything. Some people say, oh her tummy must be upset. She has plenty of energy as well.

mak73, Aug 7, 2015
  2. mak73

Trellum Well-Known Member

Be very careful, tomato leaves are known to be highly toxic for dogs. Check around and make sure you don't have a lot dangerous plants in your garden, tomato leaves are indeed highly toxic for them, also for cats. Keep them away from the steams as well, those seem to be slightly more toxic than the leaves.

Trellum, Aug 7, 2015
    IcyBC and thegrey1 like this.
  3. mak73

thegrey1 Member

When I read that, I thought I had seen somewhere that tomato plants are poisonous to dogs and cats. We just can't ever be too careful when our dogs and cats go outside. As you said, so many things that we wouldn't even think about, are toxic to them.
    mak73, what I have found to be of help, is growing your own greens in pots for your babies. That way, they're not as likely to just go out and graze on random, sometimes dangerous stuff in your yard.

thegrey1, Aug 8, 2015
  4. mak73

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I stood and watched as Ginger ate some grass the other day. She eats everything and she is so quiet now outside I should check to see if she is okay. Trellum, did you share that bit of info about the tomato leaves before? I am glad you mentioned it. We have planted tomatoes before and will possibly plant some again.

Winterybella, Aug 8, 2015
  5. mak73

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog is still a young punk himself and he too eats everything he sees. I have to be outside with him since some of those garden plants and flowers can be toxic to him, including the backyard mushroom, which caused him to puke after eating!

I know that lily of the valley and nightshade are poisonous to dog, so I have to remove those out of the yard.

IcyBC, Aug 8, 2015
  6. mak73

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are super poisonous. There are many plants that are poisonous to our dogs, like for example hydrangea and many others. I liked your idea about growing safe grass i a pot for our dogs :) I'd definitely do that, I think it's more clean that letting them out (like my dad eat) to feast on any grass they could find. I don't like to let mine go out and eat grass from the street... a lot dogs pee on it or do their other business there as well.

Trellum, Aug 8, 2015
    thegrey1 likes this.
  7. mak73

claudine Well-Known Member

I agree with Trellum, many plants in our gardens are poisonous to dogs. We have to be very careful.
    Don't worry about eating grass though. My dog does it too and he has never been sick. I think it's like a salad to him;)

claudine, Aug 11, 2015
Ask a Question