easy way to give your dog medication.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by wahmed, Mar 19, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

Recently max was ill and he just would not have his medication. It got me thinking about how people must feel when they have to give dogs daily pills. Then I came across this. thaw a frozen blueberry slightly and push the pill in. Then you can wave goodbye to the pain.

wahmed, Mar 19, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  2. wahmed

Trellum Well-Known Member

A blueberry? I don't think that works so well with a lot dogs, I know it wouldn't with my dog, he doesn't like fruits and he is so darn picky. But I guess the blueberry trick can work with other less picky dogs, but it it doesn't then you can also use a small cocktail sausage. My dog never resist them. I use the cocktail ones because that way I make sure he will swallow the whole thing without biting it.

Trellum, Mar 19, 2015
  3. wahmed

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer loves fruits:)
    However, I prefer to hide his pills in butter. He swallows them without any hesitation, because butter is his favorite treat:)

claudine, Mar 19, 2015
  4. wahmed

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well recently I hide some tablets in some cheese and fed all now "four" of my dogs. In one case the tablet fell out but I stood and watched the dog eat it like chow. I was so relieved that it was that simple. Turns out it might have been something they would all easily take no disguise required.

Winterybella, Mar 19, 2015
  5. wahmed

Some pills don't taste bad at all =D I remember the first female dog we ever had, we took her to the vet and he gave her a vitamin pill! The pill fell a bit apart while she was chewing it, but she ate every bit. It was so sad when she died years later :( I'm still kinda angry at my parents when I remember what they did when she was very sick... they abandoned her in the field. Just like the did with one of my puppies when I was 10. Saddens me so much when I think of those two...

Trellum, Mar 20, 2015
  6. wahmed

I don't associate angry with you but in the circumstances I fully understand. I remember being angry at myself for the way I allowed one of dogs to be treated. It was a long, long time ago but I don't think we gave Tommy the love he deserved. By the time I had a better appreciation for animals he was old and ready to die. I cried so much when they came to take him away.

Sometimes I think I cried more out of guilt than anything else. He was a loyal dog and deserved better than he got.:(

Winterybella, Mar 20, 2015
  7. wahmed

I know how you feel! We all make mistakes :) But what is important is to learn from them, so we become even better persons, specially to our loved animal companions :) Actually I'm glad I didn't end up treating animals badly... mostly because of that bad example my parents gave me! It hurt me so bad they did that to my puppy because they thought she was hopeless (she was a bit blind), but she ate well! Anyways, I truly congratulate you for doing things better this time around =D!!!!

Trellum, Mar 21, 2015
  8. wahmed

Thanks. I am doing so much better I have to make sure I don't go overboard. I find because of my experience I am more tolerant of people who make mistakes with their pets. I try to educate now, but some are tough and those are the ones I am likely to be angry with.

I tell you there are people who don't even understand that you'd even have to give your dog medication far less know how to feed it to them.

Winterybella, Mar 21, 2015
  9. wahmed

That is great :) Learning to forgive oneself is the first step needed to be able to forgive others, I had a hard time doing that when I was younger, but good things take time =D You have all the right to get angry at those people, hehehe, I'd do too if I tried to educate them, but they were a bit stubborn. I know a lot people like that over here! Glad I'm moving out soon :)

Trellum, Mar 22, 2015
  10. wahmed

Diana Smith Member

My golden retriever loves bananas. When I give her any sort of medication I have found that the easiest way to get her to take it without spitting it out is by cutting off a small slice from a banana and stuff the pill into the flesh of it somewhere in the middle. I will tell her that it is a treat and she gobbles it up immediately without a problem. I know that not all dogs are going to like bananas, however if yours does give it a try. It works like magic.

Diana Smith, Jun 17, 2015
  11. wahmed

My Homer is just the opposite!:p He hates bananas, they're his least favorite fruits. I once gave him a piece of banana when he was a puppy and he spitted it on my shoe:confused:
    I always hide his pills in butter:)

claudine, Jun 18, 2015
  12. wahmed

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I'll have to try it. My dogs will eat anything besides lettuce, tomatoe, and watermelon. They'll actually manage to get the tomorrow and lettuce of the burger, after shoving the entire burger in their mouth. They're talented.

LilAnn, Jun 18, 2015
  13. wahmed

I recently had to give my mom's dog his pain meds. I cut a chunk of one of those sausages people has for breakfast and gave it yo him. It did wonders. He didn't even notice it, lol.

Trellum, Jul 9, 2015
  14. wahmed

Oh no, was he sick? I hope he's better now. There is nothing more hearbreaking than a sick dog:(
    Homer loves those sausages too.

claudine, Jul 10, 2015
  15. wahmed

Yes, he had intestinal blockage. We had to give him pain meds for that after the vet saw him, he was in a lot pain, but he is such a cute little dog! He almost didn't show it :) You could see it in is eyes though :( He looked at us like saying: ''Help me, I am in pain!!''. Because he doesn't look at us directly to the eye most of the time (he avoids visual contact a lot) , but this time he did, almost like he was wishing he could talk to us.

Trellum, Jul 10, 2015
  16. wahmed

I'm happy the vet helped him:) Dogs should never get sick, it's too hearbreaking to see them in pain:(
    My Homer avoids visual contact too. He looks at me only when he's angry:p

claudine, Jul 13, 2015
  17. wahmed

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Little Miss and Brin won't eat the treat if the see the medicine, so on a couple of occasions I've had no choice... I've had to stick my hand in their mouth and throw it into the back of their throat. They hate that so bad!!! But I only do it for their benefit.

LilAnn, Jul 14, 2015
  18. wahmed

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I just put Capone's monthly heart worm pill in his food bowl when I feed him, and so far so good. He didn't notice what was in there either.

There are may good tricks and tips in this thread which is a great reference for later should I run into trouble later in the future with my dog.

IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015
  19. wahmed

LilAnn Well-Known Member

if Capone is anything like my dogs, he wouldn't notice a nuclear bomb in his food. They eat so fast that they don't have time to notice... except lettuce or tomatoes.

LilAnn, Jul 19, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  20. wahmed

Haha, Homer is the same. He always swallows everything as fast as possible:p I think he worries that someone might steal his food, lol;)

claudine, Jul 20, 2015
Ask a Question