Dogs & Water Safe Hoses

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by argon_0, Jul 9, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka loves playing with the water jet from the garden hose.While my wife waters her vegetables she from time to time squirts water outside the fence and Mishka runs and jumps to snap at it. Fun for both dog and gardener and plenty of doggie exercise.​
    I've always wondered about the safety of drinking water from one for years. We probably have all had a drink from a hose and we are familiar with the taste.​
    It's been recently reported that new hoses have a high level of lead, phthalates and the toxic chemical BPA and especially when the hoses get hot.
    Here some advise that I found regarding hoses.
    1. Purchase only PVC, lead free and drinking water safe hoses available on the market that won't harbor dangerous chemicals.
    2. Let the water run for a about 15 seconds before drinking, since the water that sits in the hose contains the most unwanted elements and be sure to store your hose out of the sun and heat.

argon_0, Jul 9, 2012
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice advises.
    We should really be careful on the water that we are drinking and choose the right/safe hose for it. As well as the proper storage for it.

zararina, Jul 9, 2012
  3. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, I never really thought about the materials that went into making a hose. I didn't even know there were drinking water safe hoses. Are they widely available?

I do know that I used to drink out of them as a child. It was so difficult to walk back in the house to get a glass of water. ;) But, as an adult I can only think that a) they've got dirt inside and b) bugs are crawling around in them. My luck there would be a slug in the house. Gross! LOL

Isn't it funny that as a child you don't worry, but once you reach a certain age you start to think about stuff?

Melody, Jul 9, 2012
  4. argon_0

So true Melody. As a kid I melted lead in tin cans on a fire in a cave to make fishing sinkers. I carried lead in my pockets. And asbestos we broke into pieces and skimmed on the water.:eek: The things we don't do now.

There are quite a few brands of drinking water safe hoses available out there.
    I guess it's up to where you live and how much for postage unless you can buy them locally.
    http://www.nextag.com/drinking-water-hose/shop-html

argon_0, Jul 10, 2012
  5. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, I didn't do anything like that (melting tin) that I can remember. I bet we all did things that we would think twice about as grown ups.

Thanks for the link to the hoses. Wow! Some of those are quite expensive. I guess you pay for the safety feature. One of the hoses is $170. o_O

I noticed that most of these hoses are white or grey. Is there a reason for that? Is the green coating of hoses considered unsafe?

Melody, Jul 12, 2012
  6. argon_0

I really don't know why the hoses would mostly be white. I do know that when you bend plastic the crease will always be white. Try it out on a coloured Ice cream container. But this would not explain the white hoses.:confused:

argon_0, Jul 16, 2012
Ask a Question