Dogs, soup &/or canned Tuna?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012.

1. SweetBeast

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Good day to all!
    I feed Bobbi twice a day, & simply cut the amount in half of a single serving. I provide her with 2 different dry foods to vary her meals a little. She has such a metabolism, that she always seems hungry! I have tried to increase it a little of the same food but she will gain weight rather easily.

My thought is to add some canned Tuna in water(drained of course), from one of the major brands such as Starkist, or Chicken of the Sea. I am hoping to add perhaps 1-2 tablespoons, so A, it may make her feel a little more full & there is no fat & very few calories, & B, perhaps she can benefit from the nutritional value of Tuna.

I also wonder the same for a few of the soups on the market. I gave her some Campbells Homestyle Chicken Noodle soup & she loved it in her dinner! I realize there is a lot of sodium in soups, so I drained off the broth, then rinsed the ingredients, primarily the wide noodles, chicken & a few small carrots. I am considering the soup I just mentioned as well as Vegetable & Steak & Potato, but no Chili bean soup !

Lastly, she won't eat raw carrots, so I assume cooked carrots would be okay for to have a little with her meals?

Just tossing this out here to see if any of you know of this & if it would be okay.

Many thanks & you all continue to love your furry families!

SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012
  2. SweetBeast

Jessi Well-Known Member

Those sound like good ideas.

Instead of spending money on Cambell's soups that you're just going to drain and wash off, though, simply get some veggies. Taht was what I was going to suggest after your first paragraph anyway. Add some green beans, peas, and/or carrots to her food to help stretch it farther. She'll feel more full and won't put on weight because of extra calories. If she's not fond of some of them, mix with a little meat broth (or the tuna you mentioned) and she should lap it up!

Jessi, Dec 10, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  3. SweetBeast

Melody Well-Known Member

Vegetables are a great snack for dogs. It makes them feel treated but doesn't add to their weight. You can mix them with their meals to add to the content, too.

You found out what I did. My dogs don't like raw vegetables. But, they love them steamed. Misha is particularly fond of baby carrots. She gets one a day. I also give her peas and broccoli.

You need to watch some of the processed foods. They are loaded with sodium and may be more calories than your dog needs.

Also, if weight is an issue, consider how many treats you give you dog each day. Sometimes we over treat not thinking about it. This is where the vegetables can come in handy.

Melody, Dec 11, 2012
    SweetBeast likes this.
  4. SweetBeast

Jessi thanks & yes, a great idea as the soup is rather expensive. I am not a big consumer of veggies - yes, I know, shame on me, but I will visit the produce department next time in the store & get those you suggested. In the meantime, earlier this eve, I cooked up some rice, then drained off the water from a can of chicken I had on hand, then added a heaping tablespoon of this mixture to her dinner & she loved it!

Thank you again Jessi!

SweetBeast, Dec 11, 2012
  5. SweetBeast

Thank you Melody as Bobbi snubs her little nose at the tasty baby carrots, however, she does like the cooked carrots, so I will definitely be adding some cooked carrots to her meals. I imagine she will also like a few of the cooked veggies as well.

Yes, I do have to watch her weight so the vegetables will be an added & healthy bonus for her. Nd yes I will keep an eye on the calories, sodium & fat.

Again, thank you Melody!

SweetBeast, Dec 11, 2012
  6. SweetBeast

Jessi Well-Known Member

Have you seen my posts on making homemade dog food?

http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/11/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food.html
    http://www.quirkycookery.com/2012/01/homemade-dog-food-make-it-portion-it.html

And as for you not eating many veggies yourself, then just pick up some bags of frozen veggies! You can keep them in the freezer and only pull out a little bit when you need it for your dog. You can microwave them quickly or you may even be surprised to see that your dog might enjoy frozen peas, etc.

Jessi, Dec 11, 2012
Ask a Question