Dogs prevent babies from getting sick

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303292204577514672094866312.html

Baby's best friend!

Jessi, Jul 11, 2012
  2. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

This coincides with the other study showing that dogs improve conditions for those suffering with allergies and asthma. I think this puts to rest the idea that you need a sterile, pristine house in order to have good health. It appears that our exposure to various bacteria early in age can actually boost our immune system's response to these health invaders. Maybe the fact that dog's make us smile doesn't hurt either. :D

It's interesting that two studies showing similar positive health benefits to owning dogs have come out so near each other. We always knew they improve our lives. I guess now we can add improving our immune systems to the list.

Melody, Jul 12, 2012
  3. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have already noticed this with my nephews and nieces.

I have one set who lives in the city and are always spic and span. They are also their doctor's pets because they see him so often. I have another set who lives in the village and the only time they are really clean is after taking a bath before going to bed. And that's only when their mothers give them a good scrubbing. They see the doctor maybe once a year.

So, a bit of dirt a day, keeps the doctor away.

Victor Leigh, Jul 12, 2012
  4. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

I think getting exposed to different kinds of bacteria everyday certainly boosts our immune system. And I can certainly attest to what Melody said about asthma and highly reactive allergic reaction being lessened when you have a dog companion in your household.

It just shows that dogs can have different roles to a human. They can guard, protect, accompany, love, relieve stress and keep us happy.

haopee, Jul 16, 2012
  5. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

It was good to know and another reason why dogs are great companions also for babies.;)
    I used to have an asthma before and I grew up in a household with dogs. And it just disappeared or cured as I become older and become more active on outdoor sports.

zararina, Jul 16, 2012
  6. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think you should tell your real story to all those people who wouldn't keep dogs because they have asthma. Somehow they get the idea that dog hair is bad for asthma.

Victor Leigh, Jul 21, 2012
    zararina likes this.
Ask a Question