Dogs night time vision

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Jun 28, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Does your dog have problems seeing at night inside?
    Mishka has trouble climbing our staircase at night and I have wondered if it has something to do with my LED lighting in my home.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences?

argon_0, Jun 28, 2012
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

I think we only have such problem with our 12 year old dog. Her vision is not that clear anymore especially when it is dark.
    Maybe Mishka has eyesight problem? Or stairs were big/small/stiff for her?

zararina, Jun 28, 2012
  3. argon_0

tajnz Well-Known Member

Interesting question. As my dogs got older I think their level of night vision decreased. When they were younger we'd take them outside to do their business ;) and they would run to their favorite spot in the garden in the dark with no trouble. My mom would always get worried and would keep calming their names until they returned though. However when they were older they seemed to have trouble navigating stairs in low light or in the dark. My mum started carrying them up and down the stairs eventually as she was worried they could have an accident.

tajnz, Jun 30, 2012
  4. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I don't remember any of my dogs having that kind of problem. Probably if they don't see too well in the dark, they can still make things out with their superior sense of smell and hearing.

Victor Leigh, Jun 30, 2012
  5. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I would have thought so too. Our staircase is not boxed so there's spaces under each step. When she gets to the sidewinder half way up she seems to get confused ans sticks her head under. During the daytime she has no trouble at all and usually runs up and down. I have 12 volt LED lighting and wondering if the colours of the light are not in the correct proportion or lacking a colour of the spectrum for dogs to see okay.

argon_0, Jul 1, 2012
  6. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think the problem that your dog faced is not common. I have seen blind dogs that could go outside and walk along the roadside to where they normally do their business. Not being able to see has not been a total handicap at all.

Victor Leigh, Jul 1, 2012
Ask a Question