Dogs love milk?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by summerRain, Dec 22, 2011.

1. summerRain

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Yes ,my dog loves milk. I use it to train her to come inside when I let her out at night for her business.We live in the forest so there are many interesting things to chase. I stand on guard and call her to come in and she returns quickly rewarded by a small portion of milk.

argon_0, Feb 14, 2012
  2. summerRain

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

That is so funny! Little pig-dogs!

SallyintheValley, Feb 15, 2012
  3. summerRain

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Do you think this little chappie here will say "oink"?
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 16, 2012
  4. summerRain

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

That's great, but not all people food is good for them. You should also be really careful with feeding too much people food--scraps and foods cooked for human consumption should never make up more than a third of your dog's diet--and I'd say that it should be even less to ensure the health and safety of your dog.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 16, 2012
  5. summerRain

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Keeping people food from your pet is easier said than done. Your pet is very often your constant companion. That includes being by your side when you are eating. So it does take some effort to keep people food from your pet.

Victor Leigh, Feb 18, 2012
  6. summerRain

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that you shouldn't give dogs and cats cows milk because it could cause intestinal problems and give them diarrhea.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 18, 2012
  7. summerRain

Anne New Member

My dog loves milk as well. When he was a puppy I normally would give him a lot more milk, because he has gotten much bigger I hardly give him milk anymore. Milk doesn't seem to affect his stool either.

Anne, Mar 24, 2012
  8. summerRain

Luz Adolfo Member

Mine love's milk, even now that he is no longer a puppy, he can finish 3 glass of milk for a single meal. This is probably because of he's very fast metabolism and he made eating as a hobby. I love to give him milk to stay healthy and I think it is working because he is always energetic. So, you should probably keep feeding milk to your dog every day.

Luz Adolfo, Apr 2, 2012
  9. summerRain

stefano13 Member

Dogs can drink milk, nothing wrong with that. In the old days milk was part of their diet, there was no "kibble" to feed the dogs they ate whatever the household could provide. Some dogs tolerate it well, some have more sensitive stomachs and can get loose bowls. As a treat though yogurt or cottage cheese works better.

stefano13, Apr 30, 2012
  10. summerRain

Jalisa7 Member

Dogs will eat/drink just about anything lol I used to give milk to dogs but don't anymore simply because it is not good for them. It gives them bad gas and upsets their tummies. However I did learn that once milk is turned into cheese, it is ok to give to dogs. I will look it up again to find the exact reason but it has something to do with a certain type of lactose being converted into the type that is ok for a dogs stomach. Yogurt is great for them though! Good for digestion and probiotics!

Jalisa7, May 1, 2012
  11. summerRain

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't give mine straight milk, so I don't know. I do make his gravy with milk often times, though, so I know he's not lactose intolerant.

Speaking of, if anyone has issues with the dog's stools/gassiness after giving them milk, that's a pretty good sign that they are intolerant and you shouldn't continue giving them milk or dairy products.

Jessi, May 5, 2012
  12. summerRain

NewDCD Well-Known Member

My veterinarian told me that giving my little baby milk could be dangerous for her health, as there are many dogs who are lactose intolerant. She said that, should I give her milk, I should try to give her that of the lactose-free variety. However, it doesn't seem she's too particularly fond of drinking milk.

NewDCD, May 17, 2012
  13. summerRain

claudine Well-Known Member

I've never given Homer any milk, because I was worried that it may be dangerous for him, but since so many of your dogs drink it, I think that I'll take the risk. I'm pretty sure that he would love milk, because he once drank some of my coffee and I always add a lot of milk to it. ( of course it was an accident, I would never share my coffee with him).

claudine, Sep 8, 2013
  14. summerRain

jim scott New Member

i have a pitbull Jack and i gave him milk daily morning and he loves it. he also loves wine.

jim scott, Nov 19, 2013
  15. summerRain

I'm pretty sure that dogs shouldn't drink wine;) It's very unhealthy for them. My little Yorkie once drank some champagne from my aunt's glass when she wasn't looking, so I guess he likes alcohol too.

claudine, Nov 20, 2013
  16. summerRain

Anthony W. Parran New Member

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I have an 18-month old abused rescue Schnauzer from Mexico. I got him when he was 4-months old. Copito aka Coco and I share a bowl of cereal in the morning, including milk. He has his own bowl and I only serve him about 1/2 a bowl. Each morning I vary the type of cereal, which he dances all the way to where I place his bowl. At first I was concerned but now after checking his stools, which are normal, and he is not overweight, this has become another shared ritual. Oh yes, he shares a lot of my human foods like an occasional plain hamburger from McDonald's, I get a 1/4 pounder meal and share my french fries. I am 67 and not hardly overweight and as pointed out, nor is he.

Anthony W. Parran, Jan 11, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  17. summerRain

I'm sure he is a very happy dog!:) If he isn't lactose intolerant, drinking milk won't harm him.
    As for hamburgers and fries, they're extremely unhealthy, because they contain a lot of salt and many harmful chemicals. Maybe give Coco vegetables? My Yorkie loves raw carrots:)

claudine, Jan 19, 2015
  18. summerRain

Anthony W. Parran New Member

Hi:
    As stated he likes fast food. He does not get them every day. His diet varies each day, so like myself, we are not overweight. I had a Bassett Hound Terrier mix that lived to be 16. I had to put him down last year as he had lost his hearing, developed arthritis and a really bad coughing hack. He ate the same foods; fast foods, drank milk, etc. I hear of peoppe who pamper their dogs and they only live to be 8. I feel very fortunate then that he ate what he did and on the day before I made my decision, was running around the yard trying to keep up with the other dogs, limping badly. So good or bad, I will continue.

Anthony W. Parran, Jan 19, 2015
  19. summerRain

Winterybella Well-Known Member

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dogs-milk-dairy-products/

Well I don't think I have ever given my dogs milk. I felt as though I had heard that it was bad for them. I guess from what I am seeing posted in the forum, it doesn't bother some dogs. I am not sure I am going to try to introduce my dogs to milk at this juncture anyway. They honestly seem fine without it.

Maybe a little taste of some ice cream from time to time.

Winterybella, Jan 19, 2015
  20. summerRain

I'm so sorry about your loss. Dogs should live forever and never get sick:( Losing them is too heartbreaking! But I'm sure that your Bassett Hound Terrier mix had a very happy life. What was his name?
    As for fast food, I believe that it's very harmful to dogs, but I guess eating it only on special occasions won't make them ill.

claudine, Feb 2, 2015
Ask a Question