Dogs in the Olympics

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Melody, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I came across this video and thought it was cute. It's from the PetMax Pet Olympics. It appears to be a mix of agility and other tricks.

Do they have these Olympic type events in your area? Do you think your dog would be good at it?

Misha would probably do well--if she wasn't afraid of the different things. LOL I could see her freaking out running around the poles because the poles moved. She's not a very brave dog.

Melody, Aug 2, 2012
  2. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with pet Olympics, we might have them somewhere around. I have seen several Puppy Bowl and Dog Bowl competitions that are held around Super Bowl time. They are very different than the one you see on Animal Planet. These are more entertaining and require at least a small amount of skill and tricky by the doggies.

Pocs, Aug 2, 2012
  3. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, there isn't anything like that where I live. If there is, I might be able to train Dark Lady to take part. She's the only one that can follow instructions fully. The rest have got too much free will.

Victor Leigh, Aug 2, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

No doggy Olympics in my area. Though they do have a dog jumping competition at the local rural agricultural show. The dogs compete to jump a fence of timber slats that are raised plank at a time. Mishka has not attended.

argon_0, Aug 3, 2012
  5. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Awww I haven't seen anything like that around here. Of course Kotton would not have an easy time of any jumping events LOL Her little 2 inch legs can't jump very well. Koko doesn't have the attention span to walk across the living room let alone compete. Kash however would be pretty good I think!

pugskjj, Aug 3, 2012
  6. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes it was cute and nice to watch such kind of video.
    So far as I know, there is no such pet Olympics here. And if ever there will be, I most probably be watching it if I could. ;)

zararina, Aug 4, 2012
  7. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Woe, I've never heard about Pet Olympics. These dogs are so well-behaved and talented. I hope they enjoy what they're doing.

claudine, Sep 7, 2012
  8. Melody

Personally I am not too much in favor of dog olympics. The way I see it, such a thing would put too much stress on the dogs. Somehow when I see dogs doing tricks, I cannot help thinking of performing monkeys.

Victor Leigh, Sep 10, 2012
  9. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the pet olympics either. I have seen 'talent shows', though, which is the closest thing I can think of to these. I don't think my dog would do very well at all because he's not trained for those sorts of tricks.

Jessi, Sep 11, 2012
  10. Melody

Actually I don't see much sense in having dog olympics. Work trials, yes. At least when a dog takes part in a work trial, we are seeing how well it can do a job. Just plain running or jumping for no good reason doesn't quite seem like a good idea to me.

Victor Leigh, Sep 13, 2012
Ask a Question