Dogs and Vacuum Cleaners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Dogs hate the vacuum cleaner so much, don't they? I've only had one dog that did not care about the vacuum cleaner. That was Sierra. She'd lay right in the middle of the floor where I was vacuuming. I'd have to make her move, but sometimes she'd move on the other side in my path anyway.

Misha was terrified of the vacuum cleaner for the first two years. She would shake and shudder when it was turned on.

But, over the last few months she has developed different games. She would run towards it, bark two or three times, then run back to her tent for safety.

Now the game is she hides in the spare room or on my bed. Just as it gets close, she runs out to snarl at it close up, and then runs across into the other room. This goes on for two or three times before the final run straight in to her tent. It's hilarious to watch.

I've had dogs that will bite and attack the front of the vacuum. I've never had one plan attacks on it. We better keep it in the closet or who knows what will happen to it. :D

What does your dog do when you are vacuuming?

Melody, Jun 7, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that story. I never knew how common it is that dogs hate vacuum cleaners.I thought it was that Mishka's a scaredy cat.
    Mishka will get as far away as possible. It must be the incredible loud noise that they can make. I sometimes use ear muffs when I'm doing a lot of vacuuming and sometime also a dust mask.o_O I think it must be about time to find a machine that's a little quieter and do Mishka and ourselves a favour.

argon_0, Jun 8, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not have carpet here and so we do not have a vacuum. :p
    We just use the duster, mop and the broom and I could observe that a puppy likes the broom a lot that it will torn it apart. Lol

zararina, Jun 8, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, I think you are right. Vacuums are so loud and high pitched that it must hurt dogs ears. I have never seen a dog plan attacks like Misha does. I better keep an eye on her. Who knows what else she is plotting.

Zararina, isn't it funny to watch a dog around a dust mop or broom? They see the motion, back and forth. Then, they think they must chase that thing.

Misha loves to chase the dust mop. However, she is terrified when the mop is the air when you are trying to put the mop head back on the pole. For some reason this is very scary.

Melody, Jun 8, 2012
  5. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard and seen on animal television shows dogs that are afraid of vacuum cleaners. My dogs were uninterested in them and would sit perched on the sofa and watch me. One of my friends had a dog that would bark at the vacuum cleaner as if it were another animal though!

tajnz, Jun 8, 2012
  6. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Your dogs seem to be smarter than many that I have seen including my own. I don't use a vacuum cleaner but every time I sweep the floor, I would have a tug-of-war with Candy. She just simply doesn't like the broom.

Victor Leigh, Jun 8, 2012
  7. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Tajnz, my Sierra was like your dogs. Sometimes I would have to physically move her from the carpet because she was not flustered at all by me vacuuming around her. She would lay on the cord or right in my path. Nothing like a 75 lb. obstacle in the middle of the floor.

My sister's dog is terrifed of the vacuum. Instead of staying out of the room, she runs in front of it several times. I have to put her outside when I vacuum or I run the risk of hitting her.

My brother's mini pinscher is a little smaller than Misha. She's the type that attacks the vacuum head on. She snarls and bites at it until it is turned off.

Melody, Jun 9, 2012
  8. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have a easier time dealing with Candy when I am sweeping the floor. Somehow she has a fear of heights. So I just need to put her on the table and she will stay up there until I take her down again.

Victor Leigh, Jun 9, 2012
  9. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer really hates our vacuum cleaner. He isn't very scared of it, I think that it's the smell that annoys him the most. He doesn't like when things are too clean:p Whenever I'm vacuuming, Homer either runs into the garden or hides in a different room.

claudine, Jun 13, 2013
  10. Melody

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow was only 3 months when we got her and my goodness do they shed! When I used the vacuum though, it really frightened her. I did not want to traumatize her so I bought one of those mops that attract dog hairs and small dry particles. I use that in the 1st floor rooms where she usually stays and only use the vacuum in the 2nd floor area. I actually find this more convenient since I clean the 1st floor area of dog hairs twice a day and I don't have to take out a bulky vacuum cleaner just a slim mop.

trishgl, Jun 14, 2013
  11. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

A mop is a great idea. Somehow, I haven't thought of it. Maybe I should buy one too, if I did, Homer would be very grateful. I hope that a regular mop will do the job since I haven't seen any special mops that attract dog hairs here.

claudine, Jun 20, 2013
Ask a Question