Dogs and puppies given as Christmas gifts

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Janet Ford, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Active Member

I used to raise and show dogs. I never allowed the sale of my puppies that would go to someone that wasn't aware they were getting one, and duly prepared for said puppy. Of course, an exception would be responsible parents who are 'gifting' to their child, providing I felt secure that the parents were the ones in charge of the responsibility of the dog.

So much goes into researching a breed, a breeder and even choosing which specific puppy/dog is appropriate for you. Then there is, of course, the timing issue. To gift a dog or puppy mysteriously to someone even if you know that is the breed they want or that they expressed looking for a puppy, etc. is just not fair to either the dog or the prospective new owner.

How do you feel about gifting puppies and dogs? The season is coming. With it, I know more puppies have been already planned in anticipation for Christmas sales as they are every year.

Janet Ford, Oct 18, 2015
  2. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

I used to see this as something so innocent and sweet, but after a while of being a member of this forum I could finally understand how this kind of things are actually a huge mistake. Many of those poor dogs end up in the street, because sometimes the person who gets this wonderful gift might not be ready for such a responsibility. So I think it's a terrible idea. I'd never do such a thing, not after knowing all I know now.

Trellum, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Janet Ford

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a good idea. Not everyone can be a pet owner. In general, I never give animals as presents.
    Taking care of a dog is a great responsibility, you can't just put it on someone unless they really want it.

claudine, Oct 22, 2015
  4. Janet Ford

Janet Ford Active Member

That's awesome to know talking about these things makes a difference. I can't count the number of potential puppy buyers I refused to sell to because this was in their plans. Sadly, most breeders will let them because even they don't see the potential problem or maybe because they just don't care. Many animal shelters won't adopt pets out as potential gifts, either. They know they stand a good chance of coming right back if they did. Or worse.

Janet Ford, Oct 25, 2015
  5. Janet Ford

Trellum Well-Known Member

@Janet Ford Me too :) I feel great we are actually sharing the word! I actually keep sharing things related to dogs in a bad situation, who thanks to some good luck and of course some really good Samaritans they got the help they needed. But at the same time those success stories (I want to believe they do) make people think about what happens to the other dogs who never get help.

Trellum, Oct 25, 2015
  6. Janet Ford

IcyBC Well-Known Member

When my children were younger, I have thought of giving them a puppy for a present since they wanted a dog so much. Honestly, back then, people were given out unwanted mix puppy for free all the time and I thought we could give the puppy a good home. Needless to say, it was wrong and it didn't work out.

Now, I would go against anyone who remotely suggesting the idea. We were looking for a puppy two years ago, and the shelter told me to wait for after the Holidays as there will be many to choose from. It saddened my heart to think that there will be puppies drop off like that.

IcyBC, Nov 2, 2015
  7. Janet Ford

I hate this. Thinking about all those poor puppies makes me sad and very, very angry. People who abandon their dogs are horrible. I understand that not everyone wants to be a dog owner, but it doesn't change the fact that leaving an unwanted puppy in a shelter is a very cruel thing to do.

claudine, Nov 2, 2015
  8. Janet Ford

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yes, and think of those breeders too! They bred the dogs for this purpose of becoming presents for Christmas and Easter as if those puppies are not a living thing, breathing, feeling, and all. A big part of the blame should be placed on the breeders, who don't question the buyer's motive or interview them thoroughly if they care about their puppies instead of the money exchanged!!!

IcyBC, Nov 5, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  9. Janet Ford

I couldn't agree more. Breeders who think only about the money are irresponsible, selfish and cruel. I hate them. Dogs are like children, they need to be loved and taken care of. You can't treat them like toys.

claudine, Nov 5, 2015
  10. Janet Ford

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well I am on board with any train of thought that suggest the dog being given as a gift could very well be a curse for the poor animal. I have grown in my understanding of how dogs should be treated and far too many people seem to think they are toys.

Janet Ford, I am glad you were responsible with your breeding. I've seen way too much irresponsibility where I am from. There is nothing more important to me than making sure a dog gets the right home.

Winterybella, Nov 7, 2015
  11. Janet Ford

Corzhens Well-Known Member

For a dog lover, it would be great to receive a puppy for a Christmas gift. However, even dog lovers have their quota of pets. Like me, we already have 3 dogs and my quota is only 2 so that means I am already over the quota and my husband just relented with the 3rd dog because it happened to have a birthday the same as the birthday of our dog that died a year before - we want to think that Barbie is the reincarnation of Epoy, they are both pekingese.

Corzhens, Jul 8, 2016
  12. Janet Ford

remnant Well-Known Member

The idea of gifting puppies is quite good for dog lovers. It is a priceless gift to get because it has a life of its own. It should also be a good idea for someone who isn't able to care for them. However, the gifted person should know that it comes with responsibility which will be reciprocated in trust, loyalty and company.

remnant, Aug 2, 2016
  13. Janet Ford

amelia88 Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to get someone a pet for Christmas. I really think a pet needs to be a super well thought out decision (it's a 15 year commitment, or thereabouts!)

This charity, paws.org have a good description on why pets for Christmas aren't the best idea and I agree with their sentiments on the issue!

https://www.paws.org/get-involved/take-action/explore-the-issues/pets-as-gifts/

amelia88, Aug 3, 2016
Ask a Question