Dogs and Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Shepherd, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My Australian Shepherd, Bandit, contracted pneumonia this past October. He became sick right after Hurricane Sandy. We believe Bandit's pneumonia was bacterial. He responded well to the antibiotics, and he has now recovered though his age shows more than ever. The vet said that it is much easier for older dogs, like Bandit, to get pneumonia. Bandit's symptoms, however, did not follow exactly what you might read on the internet.

"Signs of pneumonia are cough, fever, depression, rapid breathing, rapid pulse, and occasionally a nasal discharge that is thick with mucus. The cough is moist and bubbling, indicating fluid in the lungs. Dogs with severe pneumonia frequently sit with their head extended and elbows turned out to allow for greater expansion of the chest." - Taken from Pets WebMD

Bandit could not walk or barely move. (At one point, he tried to get up and go outside. He was not able to, and my dad had to carry him. He laid Bandit by our walkway. My dog struggled to rise, took two steps, laid back down, and then urinated on himself. He was not even able to take himself to the bathroom properly.) He was wheezing, grunting occasionally, and breathing quickly. There was a rattling sound that came from his throat. He showed none of the other Pets WebMD symptoms.

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, take him/her to the vet immediately. The antibiotics truly helped my dog. He was in the vet for three nights and took antibiotics for 9 days following. The bill was right around $250.

Have you ever had a dog that has had pneumonia?

Shepherd, Jan 2, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Shepherd

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a dog getting pneumonia so thanks for the information and the symptoms to watch out for. It must have been distressing for you and your beloved Bandit.
    $250 is pretty good for a 3 night stay at a vet with all the care they give plus consultation and drugs and drips.
    Great to hear Bandit is himself again.:)

argon_0, Jan 3, 2013
  3. Shepherd

shdws Well-Known Member

Just like argon_0 this is the first time I hear of a dog getting pneumonia. I am glad to hear the antibiotics helped your dog. The information you provided is of great value to all dog owners. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

shdws, Jan 3, 2013
  4. Shepherd

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I am among those who have never heard of a dog contacting Pneumonia. For that matter I have never actually heard of a dog getting a cold. I did have a few dogs who had allergy problems, but I didn't know they were prone to illnesses such as Pneumonia. So, thank you for telling me about what happened to your beloved dog and what to look out for in the way of symptoms. I appreciate this information.

pafjlh, Jan 14, 2013
Ask a Question