Dogs and Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Cheezy, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Prince George's picture for his third birthday showed him feeding his spaniel some ice cream. it was a lovely picture to see, and I too would sometimes give my dogs an ice cream treat. I was surprised, however, when animal welfare groups reacted negatively to the picture. Are ice creams really bad for dogs? Have you ever treated your dogs with ice cream?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/22/prince-george-photographs-third-birthday

Cheezy, Aug 10, 2016
  2. Cheezy

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well I will continue to do my research but I am thinking the fact it had chocolate was also a big part of the problem. The article says diary is not good for them anyway and maybe I have read or heard this before. I have given my girls a lick from a lolli stick or something like that but never ice cream in the true sense of the word and I can't say I know why. It is just something I've never practiced.

Poor little Prince probably thought he was doing such a great thing for his dog....oh well. You live and your learn.

Winterybella, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Cheezy

cluckeyo Active Member

Valentine always gets the last spoon of ice cream, and she loves the stuff. I don't really agree with all the hoopla surrounding the dog diet. When we sit down to a meal, she is right there at our feet, getting a few bites along with us, no matter what we are eating. There is not much she will turn down. Fish, maybe.

cluckeyo, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Cheezy

Pippin Member

I still wonder if they can get brain freeze, you know their brains are really small. Something like ice cream scares me around dogs because I just immediately assume their brains are going to freeze and they'll die instantly. That goes to show you how much I know about brain dogs.

I don't give them many things that we humans can consume on different level. We can eat hot pie almost right out of the oven, but I wouldn't give a dog a warm slice, I'd wait til it got to room temperature, or just a natural temperature.

Pippin, Aug 16, 2016
  5. Cheezy

Corzhens Well-Known Member

For our first dog, we gave her anything, ice cream and even soda. But we were not learned about dogs yet at that time. Now we know what's good for our dogs and what's bad. Ice cream is okay depending on the flavor. Chocolate flavor is a no-no because chocolate and even coffee is bad for the dogs. What we give our dogs for their birthday is a small amount of ice cream that is vanilla flavor. And we also give them cake, the chiffon with no icing.

Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Cheezy

claudine Well-Known Member

It's a really cute picture!:)
    However, I'm not surprised that animal welfare groups reacted negatively to it. Ice cream and other sweet treats like that are loaded with sugar. It's not healthy.

claudine, Aug 16, 2016
  7. Cheezy

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I believe that ice cream will bring on diarrhea in my dog, so I never tempt to feed him that. He has a sensitive stomach, any strange food will make him sick, puking and has diarrhea!

It is a heart warming photo, indeed! However, they have maids and house helpers to do everything for them and their animals. I am, on the other hands, have to do the clean ups myself, and that thought alone is a stopper for me :)

IcyBC, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question