Dogs and Fireworks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Ever since the last day of school, people have been setting off various fireworks in my neighborhood even though they are illegal. As it gets closer to the 4th of July (a big holiday in the US) people are doing them even more.
    Tomorrow will be crazy. I'm kind of hoping common sense prevails. We had little rain this year and there is high fire danger all over the San Francisco Bay Area. The hills are so dry.

So far, Misha has not reacted to these different noises. It's surprising since if I bang a door too loudly she jumps.

Last year on the 5th, my neighborhood was a mess. Someone at the end of the street lit off what must have been hundreds if not thousands of firecrackers. The debris was all over the sidewalk and street. I had to change my walking route because it was a mess to walk through with a dog.

How does your dog react to fireworks? Does your dog get scared or does your dog ignore it? I'll have to wait to see what she does when people started lighting them off for an hour or so. Her tent bed will be ready so she can hide.

Melody, Jul 3, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

First of all, Happy Independence to all Americans here. :D

Our dogs are usually afraid of very loud noise and that includes fireworks. So, every time someone will lit a firework in the neighborhood and it was really loud, they will just stay under the bed or under the table.

zararina, Jul 4, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I actually don't know how he reacts. When they're just occasional noises, he doesn't seem to mind. I'm guessing because it's outside the house instead of a loud bang inside, he probably doesn't care. That might be the same with Misha....she can tell it's not nearby, but when you slam a door, it catches her off guard.

Jessi, Jul 4, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

How did your dogs do last night? People started lighting stuff off around 6pm. Misha did okay until I took her outside to potty at 8:30. At the same time I opened the door someone let off a flurry of firecrackers. I was able to get her to do her business that time. But, when I took her out for her for the last time before bed time around 11:15, the fireworks were much louder and more people were doing them. She panicked and flat out refused to walk out to the grass.

I didn't force her. Well, I couldn't anyway. She can be a very strong 9 lbs of obstinance when she wants to be. Luckily, she made it all night. No accidents or 4 am wake up calls to go outside.

Melody, Jul 5, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Buddy actually asked to go outside! They weren't too nearby, but he could hear them and I think it made him antsy being inside and not knowing what was going on. He just went out, listened for a while, made his normal rounds of the yard, and then was fine.

Jessi, Jul 6, 2012
  6. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I hate when people bring dogs TO the fireworks. Fireworks are loud and hurt dogs ears :( The best place for your pet on the 4th of July is inside at home. If you take them out and they seem curious that's fine, but they shoudl be able to get inside if they want to :)

MakingCents, Jul 6, 2012
  7. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

MakingCents, that doesn't make any sense to bring dog to a location where loud noises will be booming.

We had a story on the news today. A police officer reported his police dog missing. The dog had been in the yard for a few minutes on the 4th. But, when some fireworks went off, the dog jumped the fence and bolted.

Thankfully, someone spotted the dog today. They took it to the animal shelter where it was identified and returned to the owner. This shows that even the best trained dogs can get scared.

Melody, Jul 6, 2012
  8. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very true. I think sometimes people make the mistake of thinking that their dogs are so well-trained and well-behaved that they'll be fine in all situations. They ARE still animals, though, and will still react at times, even if they've been trained otherwise. That police dog must've been so scared in order to bolt like that. :(

Jessi, Jul 6, 2012
  9. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

People think that their dogs would rather go everywehre they go instead of staying home alone. In MOST instances your dog would rather be home.

MakingCents, Jul 7, 2012
Ask a Question