Dog's Age

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, May 25, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

How can one tell the age of a dog?

I’m amazed by people who can tell the age of other dog by just looking at them or by little inspection (like the Vet). Personally, I would only know the age of a dog by noting when it was born.

King Browny, May 25, 2012
  2. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not have such skill either of telling the exact age of the dog by just looking or inspecting it. But of course easier to differentiate puppies and really old dogs as I had experienced having dogs aging more than 10 years old.

zararina, May 25, 2012
  3. King Browny

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't know how to either. There are definitely personality signs that can signal that it's an adult versus a young dog....and yet....we have a dog that is an ancient 14 years old and acts like a puppy. Most people would guess him at just a few years old, but he's far beyond that.

Jessi, May 25, 2012
  4. King Browny

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I could pinpoint the year either. You can see maturity in a dog's face when they exit puppydom. The eyes lose their youthful sparkle. The face has a more serious set to it. It's easier to see the changes when you put photos side by side. When I look at photos of Misha, it surprises me how much her features have changed in three years.

Demeanor is another indicator. While an eight year old dog might have a lot of energy, it will respond to commands more quickly than a two year old.

As they age, you notice things like fading color in their face. They will start to get white/grey hair. Their eyes won't seem as clear as they once were.

Of course, Vets are trained to see things we don't notice. They'll take into account the shape of the face, how the teeth are shaped, how the bones have grown, and so forth.

If physical activity was the indicator, my Lab was ancient at 5. That was the age she stopped playing. She pretty much gave up toys at that point. She lived until she was almost 14 despite the cancer.

Melody, May 25, 2012
  5. King Browny

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I think you did pin point some tell-tale signs. I can pick up on the age and I reckon most dog owners can to. Living with many pups to mature age dogs I've noticed a lot of indicators.
    I wish I wasn't getting so old.:(

argon_0, May 26, 2012
  6. King Browny

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, it is difficult for dog owners when they start to notice the signs of aging in their dogs. We might notice that they have slowed down. It may be the little bit of gray mixed in with the fur. Maybe the eyes aren't as clear as they once were.

Dogs lives are too short, aren't they?

Melody, May 27, 2012
  7. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

I know my dog Browny is old but reality just sink in after this time when I would take Shakira and he for a walk and he walked slowly going out of the house then stopped and just stood there in the middle of the street. Shakira and I started walking but Browny won’t move a limb. I just told him to go inside the house and I thought he did because I saw him turn his back. But after about 15 minutes of walk or so, when we return we saw him still standing in the middle of the street face looking to the path where we left at. He’s not able to come with us in the morning walk after then. *clear the forming tears

Anyway to tell the age, I think they also look at the teeth and the hair appearance. Plus I noticed with my dog as he grows older, his limbs get thinner and he became grumpier than ever. But he still loves to be cuddled like a pup.

King Browny, May 27, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  8. King Browny

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what the point you are making. But your comment The eyes lose their youthful sparkle. The face has a more serious set to it. It's easier to see the changes when you put photos side by side. certainly shows we can see these changes. And what King Browny says But he still loves to be cuddled like a pup. is so true.:) That's why I love dogs so much.They are beautiful.

argon_0, May 27, 2012
Ask a Question