Dognapping for ransom

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Corzhens, May 30, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, there was this news report about a missing dog that appeared to be dognapped for ransom. I was not able to follow the sequel to that news. However, when I went to the nearby salon, there was this talk similar to the news. Their imported dog (breed unclear) was missing and later on they noticed a small paper taped on the gate about a ransom and some instructions. Eventually, the dognapper got connected to the phone of the owner for the negotiation. The dog was returned after the owner had paid a handsome ransom.

The owner did not report the incident to the police because the dognapper had warned them. If it can happen to them, then it can also happen to us, that's the consensus in the salon. And the best thing is to keep your pets inside and let them loose only when under the supervision of humans.

Corzhens, May 30, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Oh wow..I can imagine it happens especially when the dog is imported. The kidnapper must believe the owner of the dog has money, which usually is true. The dognappers are smart and probably will only go after people with high status.

If someone kidnapped Capone, I am sure they won't go for ransom but they will toss him in the ring to fight, and that won't be a good thing either.

IcyBC, May 30, 2016
  3. Corzhens

amelia88 Well-Known Member

Thankfully that doesn't seem to be a thing here in Japan. I've heard of it though when I've lived in the States - people would literally put Facebook posts up telling people to keep their dogs inside as there was word of dognapping in the area.

It seems to be the case though that in the US people were dognapping simply to get purebred dogs and probably on-sell them. Puppies especially seemed to be targeted - heartbreaking that people just want to make money off animals and don't realize they are valued members of the family!

amelia88, Jun 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Just for the sake of argument, when it comes to money, it is the strongest motive and powerful thing in this world. It even involves murder as you already hear and know.

However, they are not to blame completely and totally. I would put the blame on the PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE PUPPIES also. So if these people ever get caught, the breeder should get a HEFTY FEES, and the BUYER should get a hefty fees too. After all, the buyers are the people who motivates and encourage this business.

IcyBC, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

I am familiar with a similar case in my area. I had connected teenage stranger to a job at an acquaintance's homestead after he approached me with a job request. Two days later, the lad had stolen household property including the pet, a big dog. How he managed to do this remains unclear though he was arrested on his way to sell the dog to the police!

remnant, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Corzhens

Alpha1 Active Member

I have never heard of this. This is scary, especially for people who let their dogs roam around.

Alpha1, Jun 13, 2016
  7. Corzhens

amelia88 Well-Known Member

So true, IcyBC - if there's not a market for it then the people who are dognapping wouldn't have a way to onsell the pups and dogs they steal. I think that's such an important point. We need to remember when we are adding a new furry friend to our families to be diligent about finding out where exactly they came from, rather than being swept up in the cuteness of them.

amelia88, Jun 16, 2016
  8. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@amelia88 I was swept up in Capone's cuteness when I saw his photo, and for the life of me, I was urged to make a phone call to inquire! Then, after that, I tried to get him out of my mind for the entire night and day. It was love at first sight, for sure :)

He was meant to be though! The owner kept calling me back and agreed to my price dropping three times. She even gave him a bath before she handed him over.

IcyBC, Jun 23, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have to confess, this is the first time I am hearing of such a thing. For a minute I was stumped when I saw the title of the thread but I can see how this could be a big thing. Our dogs are family so we are targets for these people. This is one of the these things I'd like to keep on the low in my country. Word gets out on this and this could be a massive problem.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Winterybella, Jun 23, 2016
  10. Corzhens

iseeyou Member

Wow I've never heard of such a thing before. The owners should've still report the 'dognapper' to the authorities, what if he's/she's out of cash again and repeat his last tactic of getting cash, it's like their lives and dog's lives is forever in this semi danger situation because of the dognapper's threat looming over their heads.

iseeyou, Jun 30, 2016
  11. Corzhens

cecejailer Member

So much coincidence I just read this post, because I was thinking about this just today when I was walking my dog. I think this is so bad because it really brings out the morality of us pet owners. I love my dog to death but I don't think I'd be able to pay, let's say, $100.000 for ransom. That's what makes dog kidnapping even worse than human kidnapping, because even though we love them so much, not everyone is able to pay to get their pet back.
    Honestly, this is one of the worst crimes ever. Makes me very sad to know this happens quite often.

cecejailer, Jun 30, 2016
Ask a Question