Doggie play groups

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Pocs, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

I have never participated with these types of groups where dog lovers get together and let their furry family members play with one another. It seems to be a big thing in my area and I am getting mixed reviews. Have you and what was your experience ?

Pocs, Aug 1, 2012
  2. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

I haven't done this, but I have friends who do. They use it as a time to socialize with the other adults and give their dogs some doggy play time. It's usually owners who only have one dog or dogs who love playing with others....but doesn't have anyone to goof off with.

Jessi, Aug 1, 2012
  3. Pocs

Melody Well-Known Member

I have heard of this, but I don't know of any in my area. My family always bring their dogs over and I take my dog to their houses. I guess we have our own play groups.

I wonder if there is a screening process. I would think you'd have to make sure all the dogs are friendly towards other dogs or you'd have problems.

Melody, Aug 1, 2012
  4. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Pocs if you think that your dog could cope I would. Socializing is a great way to give dogs an extra treat in life. If I took Mishka to such groups she would kiss and make friends with the boys and be a complete grumpy bum with the girls. She does socialize with a cute boy dog down the road at times.

argon_0, Aug 7, 2012
  5. Pocs

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I have never been to one of these locally. In the old city where I lived, there was a "dog park" downtown where people brought their dogs to play. It was a really neat sight to drive past. I never took mine. I was always too worried that they might try to impregnate all of the other dogs there- haha!

Shepherd, Aug 10, 2012
  6. Pocs

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Do you have to sign some sort of waiver to participate in these? Or do they require all the owners have pet insurance? I would hate to see someone else's dog get seriously injured in a fight.

I've also heard of pet friendly bed and breakfasts, that have a whole play area for dogs - where they can play with the other guests dogs too.

OhioTom76, Sep 27, 2012
  7. Pocs

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs and neighbor's dogs sometimes play with each other. We don't preschedule it, but we can read our dogs well enough that we know when their actions are just that they want to play, then they go into one of our yards and get let off the leashes to play with each other. There are only a few dogs in the neighborhood that don't get along with other dogs, so those ones don't play with each other, but one of my neighbor's dogs is best friends with my dogs and they play together all the time.

Nick87, Oct 1, 2012
  8. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

Not usually. Usually it is set up between individuals. They sort of regulate the groups themselves and might have rules about vaccines being up to date, etc. Because it's not a company that is organizing them usually, though, then there aren't any legal requirements in place most times.

Jessi, Oct 1, 2012
  9. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

In my area we don't have a habit of doing it. It's a shame because I'd love to see a lot of adorable Yorkies in one place, it would be so cute:D I'd also be happy to talk to other owners and exchange some funny stories:D

claudine, Dec 20, 2012
  10. Pocs

zararina Well-Known Member

I have not tried that either.
    Our recent male dog is not comfortable with lots of dogs or stranger dogs (especially male dogs) so, it will not be a good idea.

zararina, Dec 21, 2012
  11. Pocs

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I've never done a doggie play group or been to a dog park. I have a few places that I know a lot of people who walk with their dogs and that can be enjoyable for me. My dog is older and while he is very social he does like to do his thing by himself.

firelily99, Dec 5, 2013
  12. Pocs

Trellum Well-Known Member

No, I hadn't even heard about this until now. It sounds like a great idea :) But a lot things can go very wrong during those meetings, I think the dog owners need to be very responsible! Because you never know what could happen when you get a lot dogs together in just one place! I'd be wary to try this.

Trellum, Dec 25, 2013
  13. Pocs

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I walk with different groups of people but we don't have a play group per se. I'm sure its a nice experience to be in one but it is pointless for my needs or the needs of my dog. We have a steady and regular group or people we walk with but we also enjoy going off on our own.

firelily99, Mar 21, 2014
  14. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

This is so true. I think that there should be a group for small dogs and a group for big ones. I wouldn't want my Homer to play with large dogs, because he's quite aggressive and I know that he would bark at them. It could be dangerous:(

claudine, Mar 23, 2014
Ask a Question