dog yard business

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mak73, Aug 3, 2015.

1. mak73

mak73 Member

My dog recently has stopped urinating in the yard and instead goes on the sidewalk. I have to go out and rinse the sidewalk because it leaves a stain. Why does she do this? She does her other business in the yard. It's very annoying. It's not like she really has to go and doesn't make it to the yard. First, she only needs to take 3 steps to get off the sidewalk and into the yard and 2nd, she walks around the yard checking everything out. She purposely goes on the sidewalk to do her business.

mak73, Aug 3, 2015
  2. mak73

IcyBC Well-Known Member

She is testing you and enjoy knowing that you're frustrated :) Kidding aside, I think you will have to be out there with her, and point her to the grass where you want her to go. You might even want to put on the leash and walk her to the grass area a few times to break her habit. Just don't forget to reward her when she got it right :)

IcyBC, Aug 3, 2015
  3. mak73

Trellum Well-Known Member

Mix some vinegar, lemon and water in a sprayer. Spray the mix there and I bet you she won't even do that again. Because most dogs mark their territory and like to sniff the place where they are going to do their business first. They hate the smell of vinegar and lemon.

Trellum, Aug 5, 2015
  4. mak73

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Oh really. Then I am going to have to spray that all over the house so Ginger won't decide to poop inside any more. She is not doing too bad these days but you can never tell with her. Good one day, doubly bad another.

Winterybella, Aug 5, 2015
  5. mak73

@Winterybella I'm so sorry to hear that, I did try to do that with a small dog I had, a miniature schnauzer... mad, she found a way to find the only spot where I hadn't sprayed that thing and poo there. What a mess.... she did the same with the newspaper trick, the kennel... nothing like my frida.

Trellum, Aug 6, 2015
  6. mak73

Winterybella Well-Known Member

She is doing much better. All week she has been pretty good. I think I have to here and supervising things. I know how her body works so I know when to say 'go potty' but I find most of the accidents happen in my absence or when I am not paying enough attention. She's a big cry baby these days. Crying to get her way. She never ceases to amaze me.

Winterybella, Aug 6, 2015
  7. mak73

Have you tried the crate technique? You know, so she doesn't make a mess when she is all alone in the house? or have you tried it but it hasn't worked at all? Awww, that ginger is smarter than she wants to let us think :) I think the crying is just a phase, she is still young, my Frida used to cry a lot as well to get what she wanted. In that sense she reminded me of my youngest niece :p She knew hot to manipulate us to get what she wanted.

Trellum, Aug 7, 2015
Ask a Question