Dog Weather Report

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by argon_0, Jan 4, 2013.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Currently today it's now reached 40C with hot gusty winds. Poor Mishka is sprawled out on the kitchen floor just sleeping the day through. Too hot for Frisbee. Too hot for a walk.:( Even too hot to chase or more like bully those dumb chickens.
    Glad we got her shorn 6 weeks ago.:)

So how is you fine furry friend enduring what nature sends your way today?

argon_0, Jan 4, 2013
  2. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

It's really strange to hear that somewhere out there the weather is so hot. I'm wearing 3 sweaters and my Homer is sleeping under the blanket right now. He is okay but during the day, he was running outside the house and I worried a little because it was cold. Fortunately now it's raining so he prefers to sleep:)

claudine, Jan 4, 2013
  3. argon_0

shdws Well-Known Member

I'm with Claudine, it's strange to hear that it's actually hot somewhere in the world. It's pretty chilly here but my dog seems to love it. He's far more active than on hot days.

shdws, Jan 4, 2013
  4. argon_0

Does he enjoy running around in the snow?

argon_0, Jan 5, 2013
  5. argon_0

shdws Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't snow here, I live in Florida. The coldest it gets here is mid 20s Fahrenheit. But to us Floridians, that is VERY cold. My dog seems to love it!

shdws, Jan 6, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  6. argon_0

Mid 20's F is below 0C ?:confused:
    Sounds like your dog lives in some ideal weather conditions.

The temperatures are dropping here. It's currently 28C/82F

More of Mishka's kind of weather.
    This will make you laugh. After having 40C /104F on Friday it's expected to snow on Wednesday up at 900 metres/3,000 feet though.

argon_0, Jan 7, 2013
  7. argon_0

Wow, it's really going from one extreme to another. You can't be bored if you live in Australia:p . Good thing it will snow only in the mountains.
    It's surprising but we don't have to much snow in Poland this year. I bet Homer misses it.

claudine, Jan 7, 2013
  8. argon_0

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Argon_0 it is a beautiful mild winter day here in southern California; 15C/58F & Bobbi & I just returned from a nice walk! The poor thing has to take about 4 steps to my one, so it depends who you ask, if it was a long walk or not!

SweetBeast, Jan 7, 2013
  9. argon_0

shdws Well-Known Member

Wow that is some crazy extreme weather. Our temperature doesn't fluctuate too much within season. 104F is insanely hot! How do you cope?

shdws, Jan 8, 2013
  10. argon_0

Jed, how is the weather at your place now? I've heard you have some awful bushfire there (I don't know if it's in your area). I hope everything is okay!

claudine, Jan 8, 2013
  11. argon_0

It's fine here with no fires in the vicinity. The fires that destroyed over 150 homes was 80 km away and is still burning forests. Lots of farm animals have been killed or badly burn't and need to be put down. The temps did drop and become much cooler, 3 C last night and showers but it's back up to 28 C the day after tomorrow with strong hot winds. Temperature rises were recorded Australia wide last year and I expect a lot more of this crazy weather here.
    The mainland state of New South Wales has over 130 fires burning and it has been declared a catastrophic weather alert similar to what we had last Friday.
    This little fella was found in the severely burnt out area worse for wear.
    and was put up on a Fb page about the fires.

[​IMG]
    from....http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tassie-Fires-2013-Photos/279291775527721

argon_0, Jan 9, 2013
  12. argon_0

This sounds so scary:( . I feel very sorry for all of these people who lost their homes and for poor animals:( ...animals are terrified of fire:( . I'm so glad somebody found this little dog...did his owners leave him there?

claudine, Jan 9, 2013
  13. argon_0

My guess is in the confusion and panic the dog went away and hid.
    Mishka can pick up on stress and if I need to evacuate I would have to ensure she is harnessed well before or else I would never be able to get her to follow me to the car.
    A lot of farm animals and native wildlife died or were severly injured and will have to be put down.So terrible.

argon_0, Jan 10, 2013
  14. argon_0

It really makes me cry to think about them:(
    If something like this happened here, I would carry my Homer, I wouldn't let him walk because I know he would panic too. I'm pretty sure we would both panic though.

claudine, Jan 10, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  15. argon_0

I always have a tear for animals especially for our furry friends the dog. I think I would be beside myself if I lost Mishka in this predicament.

argon_0, Jan 12, 2013
  16. argon_0

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Argon_0 Living in southern California, we have had our share of brush fires. I get so angry at people that live in fire-prone locations, & wait until the last minute to move their animals, when the streets are crowded & resources are at their lowest. Granted, there are instances when people have a herd of cattle, etc. so you cut them loose & hope they use their instincts, perhaps find a stream, lake, or burned over area, but so many die needlessly due to the procrastination of their owners. Also, many people put property ahead of their pets/animals. I have never had money, but I donated far more than I ever should have, but I would never put any material thing ahead of my furry family

SweetBeast, Jan 27, 2013
  17. argon_0

Now there are wide spread floods in mainland Australia. Again many animals have perished. From fire to flood in the same month. :confused:

argon_0, Jan 31, 2013
  18. argon_0

Oh no:( . Australia seems like a very dangerous place, you have snakes there, fire and floods. But I think it's also a very beautiful place (I've seen it only in pictures though). In Poland, we enjoy a few warmer days. Today it's almost 10c - it feels like spring and Homer insist on spending whole day in the garden:)

claudine, Feb 1, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  19. argon_0

One thing going for Australia is the quiet and private places you can stay or visit.
    It's possible not to see anyone else for days even close to a major city.
    I only have one or two visitors a year and Mishka often has a little barking episode from not seeing anyone either.
    The weather today is milder,20C. There's a new large bushfire burning some 12 Km away but is going away from my home luckily.
    I'm so looking forward to some rain. I've been collecting water from a spring for 6 weeks now. I've carried at least 20,000litres in plastic containers to keep my water tank full.:(
    Normally the water comes gravity fed from a creek.

argon_0, Feb 11, 2013
  20. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

We are living in a tropical country. Today, the weather was just fine and our dog was sound sleeping. :p

zararina, Feb 11, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
Ask a Question